Seadoo Challenger 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejensen1

I am looking to buy a Challenger 1800, I have a few questions...

I will be leaving this in the salt water 4 months out of the year at a boat dock can this be done? What challenges will I face? I hear I need to flush the motor out every time I use it, can this be done even if the boat is in the water? Do I need to put anti-fouling paint on the bottom of the boat? Should I pull the boat out often to clean it?

The rest of the time it will be in freshwater. Does anyone know if the warrenty is vaild if you put the boat in salt water?

How will this handle in the San Francisco Bay?

Any feedback is welcomed...

Thanks

Anti-Fouling....

Yes, for that duration of time the boat is in the water, I would put anti-fouling on it. The salt water should not void the warranty. I would recommend additional anodes on it though. That will help with electroylsis. To bad you have to leave the battery in for power to the bilge pump. If your able to shut the electrical systems down and have no voltage on the boat, that will stave off the problem that occurs through the electrolysis of the salts...........it's a chloride, which is an excellent conductor of electricity. Salt water is high in conductivity...........lots of science....wont' get into that.

Bildge

Could I not just put in a 110V bildge and plug it when docked? Would I have to completely remove the battery or just disconnect it?

No...and yes!

No to your first question. I'm no expert in the electrolysis, but when I was paying for a slip for my sailboat, the marina owner asked about my anodes and how many I had. From the way I understand it, it has something to do with the magnetics of the electrical field. So whether it's 12 vdc or 110 vac, it would still cause electrolysis. I think this will be my next topic of research.
Yes, you do need to flush your engine with fresh water after each use. The salt will crystalize in your engine pretty fast, causing insulation in your water jacket which will take away the efficiency of the transfer of heat.

Flushing....

You should have flushing connectors for your engine(s) under your hood. Just connect the water and hose, pinch the water inlet from the pump and start it. When it starts, turn the water on till you see a small amount shoot through your "tell tale" hose. You'll have a few minutes to get the water on before it tries to run hot. If your going to be set up for extended time, leave the water inlet pinched. Then, you can run with fresh water every few weeks, when your not running out in the bay.
Make sure when you pinch the water inlet, you pinch on the side of the tee that is coming from the pump and not going to the engine...:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back