Sea-doo vs. Yamaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macker29

Concerning boats, what are the pros and cons? I own a Sea-doo and understand that this is a Sea-doo site, but wanted some opinions on which one is better. Of course, the Yamaha is still in production so that is a big disadvantage for SD. Just curious what ya'll think?

It's a matter of preference as one is not better than another, just different. Do a google search and you will find lots on the pros and cons. It also depends which models and years you are comparing.

I looked at both before I bought my 06 Challenger but I found the Yamaha's to be more expensive. Yamaha engines runs on regular fuel and are based on 4 cylinders. Their superchargers dont need to be rebuilt every 200 hours, however they dont publish the engines HP output and they use open loop cooling.

The Seadoo's initial cost was much less and they push more HP from smaller 3 cylinder supercharged-intercooled engines. They can run on regular fuel but premium fuel is recommended. They use closed loop cooling from 2005 & up.

Seadoo left the market in 2012 but few years later Scarab and Chaparral (Vortex) have put Seadoo (BRP) engines in their boat designs. The new engines can push 250 and 300 HP each and no longer need supercharger service.

The biggest difference is like you said, one still makes jetboats while the other does not. Long term this could be an issue with parts availability for non-engine items. FInding a place to service the Doo boats can also be a bit difficult to find, but they are out there.

The reverse system on the Doo is way better IMO and Doos are generally cheaper than the Yamahas, but that's for the reason stated above.

Last edited:
The biggest difference is like you said, one still makes jetboats while the other does not. Long term this could be an issue with parts availability for non-engine items. FInding a place to service the Doo boats can also be a but difficult to find, but they are out there.

The reverse system on the Doo is way better IMO and Doos are generally cheaper than the Yamahas, but that's for the reason stated above.
The shop that I use still services Sea-doo boats (newer ones). But I am finding them to be more and more reluctant to work on it (and I would consider my boat to be in pretty good condition). They still sell Sea-doo PWC's, but they now sell Scarab boats. Those Scarab's look pretty nice.

Aside from what JPass pointed out about parts for the boat you should consider the hull design and where you plan on using the boat. Most newer Seadoo's have a low bow design (look at my photo), and that's not pleasant at low speeds as small waves will come over the bow. It's ok once it gets on plane. The Yamaha has a higher bow front. Also consider the weight of the boat. My challenger is 2000lbs dry and just over 2500lbs with two people, full tank and gear, but it bounces over wakes rather than slicing through them. Not sure on the Yamaha specs or hull design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back