Newby Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

dirtbill

Not a boat guy, owned plenty of sleds and bikes but live on the lake now and have been looking at boats, I like the seadoo boats- sporster or challenger seem my most likely targets, I know a little about the 3cyl four stroke motors as they share a lot with the sled motors, what I don't know about are the v6 Merc two strokes.

I am going back and forth the the pros and cons of superchargers vs v6 two strokes. At least I know a little about the four stroke, what should I be looking out for on the Merc? And without bashing one or the other, opinions on preferences would be greatly appreciated.

BTW the lake is fairly shallow and weedy does this play into decision?

Thanks

Bill

Hey Welcome!

It all depends on what you want for speed and power as the Merc will not match the supercharged 4TECs. I can't speak for the reliability of the Merc's but I wonder what you will have available for parts.

As for the shallow and lots of weeds... Shallow....no problem. Weeds...can be a problem on either of them. It also depends on the type of weed. I have had to shutdown before and go in with my mask to pull them out. Manageable, yes.

Ok I am doing more homework to both better understand what would be ideal for me as well as the specs of the two boats. I wondered about the parts too, the 4tecs are still put in the seadoos so might be easier for parts. Refreshing the supercharger doesn't look like that big of a deal so not that much of a drawback I think. Also I'm beginning to think the slightly smaller and lighter sportster might be a bit more convenient for me. lots to consider but I seem to be talking myself out of the bigger 2 stroke for other reasons! Thanks for your response, I look forward to using this forum in the future seem like lots of knowledge available.

How many people will you be boating with. A small boat gets way too small with a few people on board. If you have a family then the challenger will be better. Also, what do you want to do with it? Tube, ski, wakeboard, surf?

Those are important considerations.
4tec engines are easy & reliable.

2 or 3 at most, likely just a bit of touring around and maybe some skiing. So i was concentrating on the 215hp's.

I found a good deal on an 06 Sportster 215, hull is in good shape with minor scratches the engine has had all the routine maintenance items done by a dealer and it seems in decent shape for a 17 year old boat. There are missing cup holders and some other very minor issues such as seats are a bit cracked so I will be searching for new covers and advice.

So begins my boating adventure.

Awesome, welcome to the club.

If you don't have a receipt for the last Super Charger rebuild and it is over a few years ago, I would rebuild it now.

Then you can drive it silly and not worry about what happens if it fails.

Hi. I have a question. More of an oh no, I think I broke it thing. I turned the garden hose on before starting my 2003 gtx limited. Not starting now. DI fuel system. Turns over, new plugs have spark when out of cylinder and grounded. No water in engine, air box dry. Won’t fire with premix fuel put into cylinder. I read that the water from garden hose can somehow get into exhaust and keep engine from running. It gives normal beep when the “key” is put on, and cranks over with no beeping. If I throttle it while pressing start it gives the one beep every second indicating a fuel-flooded engine. I’ve tried all sorts of things but am needing some help please

Hi. I have a question. More of an oh no, I think I broke it thing. I turned the garden hose on before starting my 2003 gtx limited. Not starting now. DI fuel system. Turns over, new plugs have spark when out of cylinder and grounded. No water in engine, air box dry. Won’t fire with premix fuel put into cylinder. I read that the water from garden hose can somehow get into exhaust and keep engine from running. It gives normal beep when the “key” is put on, and cranks over with no beeping. If I throttle it while pressing start it gives the one beep every second indicating a fuel-flooded engine. I’ve tried all sorts of things but am needing some help please
Try your question over in the 4 tec seadoo forum. your going to find people with more specific expertize over there I suspect, good luck

Back