Sea-Doo Utopia with Merc Motor

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

resenesac

Good morning all!

I am looking into purchasing a Utopia with the 240 HP merc engine. I know the owners as they live a few houses down on our lake. Gently used boat. We do a bit of wake boarding/tubing But nothing really crazy.

My main question to other utopia owners out there is there anything I need to be on the lookout with this boat that are red flags? Like and dislikes about the boat?

I greatly appreciate any feedback

All likes. Would recommend reading up on the 240 engine...oil pump & guardian in particular. I love my utopia, no complaints for me.
They dont like rough, or even choppy water & i strongly recommend trim tabs or extended ride plates (alot of discussion on this site).

I'm on my 3rd season with my '02 utopia 205. the 240 has been a great engine so far, plenty of power. I've used it to tow kids on a tube and adults on skis, no issues at all. I have a family of 3, its very comfortable for us. Materials used in these boats seem to have been very high qualify, ours has held up extremely well even in the Texas heat and blistering sun. Something to check would be the jet intake grate's tines. If struck hard enough by debris, those can crack and eventually break off and get sucked through the impeller causing damage. If its out of the water on a trailer, I'd crawl under there and check those. I check mine periodically throughout the season, just in case. Also, if you're not mechanically inclined, you might want to call around to boat service centers in your area to see if they will be willing to service your this boat for winterizing and any other general issues. I'm in the Dallas, TX area, there isn't a single dealer anywhere here that will service these boats anymore (I've called every dealer and marine repair shop around, even out to Fort Worth). Most give the reason that since SeaDoo has stopped making boats, they're worried they're going to get it taken apart and then not have parts to put it back together. Even though its a Mercury engine and sport jet, they refuse to touch them. Definitely something to consider and research a little.

3rd season with my '03 Utopia 205. We love it. Like AirSniper said, doesn't like rough water but with the extended ride plate, porpoising is greatly reduced. I also second researching the annual maintenance on the 240/jet pump. Not hard if you are mechanically inclined and there is a great step by step tutorial that can be found on this site. Plenty of power, fits 8 comfortably. I would recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back