Sea Doo getting more difficult

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Poormanracing

Good afternoon all as the season up north is starting to get fired up.i have a rant.i opened up my own repair shop in massachusetts.i service all brands.but mostly sea doo.been doing this for over 30 years.is it me or is sea Doo getting worse and worse on getting parts for older machines.the dealers around me are great and they send me work and I appreciate it.but they send me alot of 2000 thru 2016 machines and the 2016 machines seems it's harder to get parts then the 2000 year machines.plus doing some repairs a independent shop like me can't even program a ibr without bringing it to the dealer.it is so frustrating but wondering if it's just me.thanks for reading and hope someone comments

I'm curious to hear the feedback. This is the reputation that Seadoo and BRP have: that parts become hard to get after only a few years, as BRP stops making them and don't support much of a 3rd party manufacturer ecosystem. However, I don't have any experience yet (own a '21), so wondering how long to hold on to it before I run up against this issue.

Don't get me wrong they make a great product.the industry wouldn't be what it is today if it wasn't for them pushing the envelope.and I kinda get what they are doing.keeping there dealers full of service work.but some dealers in my area are a month out already.and as a independent repair shop with can Doo pro SBT scan tool seira diagnostics and a budds system something stupid as flashing a ibr I can't do.plus they where on back order forever.that makes the industry look bad.i can't count how many customers are not buying a new machine and getting the old ones running because they don't want to deal with the dealers.and your 21 should be fine for another 4 years.

The lack of OEM parts for late models seams to be the new industry norm.

Have a 2016 Ford F150 5.0 which has an engine design defect- the shaft on the intake manifold flow diverter snaps off causing the position sensor to disconnect. The is well noted in the F150 forums. When this happens it turns on the engine service light (you can not get an inspection sticker) . You need to order a new manifold assembly for over $400 to repair it.

The manifold assembly #FL3Z-9424-J (used in 2015-2017) has been on factory back order across the country for over 6 months and no one knows when it will be available. This will be our last late model Ford.

The lack of OEM parts for late models seams to be the new industry norm.

Have a 2016 Ford F150 5.0 which has an engine design defect- the shaft on the intake manifold flow diverter snaps off causing the position sensor to disconnect. The is well noted in the F150 forums. When this happens it turns on the engine service light (you can not get an inspection sticker) . You need to order a new manifold assembly for over $400 to repair it.

The manifold assembly #FL3Z-9424-J (used in 2015-2017) has been on factory back order across the country for over 6 months and no one knows when it will be available. This will be our last late model Ford.
That is a different problem that's one specific part that has a design flaw and are probably doing a new redesign or a genuine supply problem.sea Doo just stops making every major component

I have been impressed with part availability on my 2007 GTI SE 155. The dealer rebuilt my jet pump a couple years ago, and I got nervous when they wanted to replace the housing, but within a couple weeks, it was off back order. We will see how it goes going forward, but at 300+ hours, it looks and runs great, and I hope to keep it that way. I also have a 2021 GTI SE 170 that I hope has a good lifespan of parts. I do most of my own repairs.

But I am in the automotive parts and service business, and the supplier base is struggling to meet manufacturer demands, and there are supply chain issues all thru the system and with all manufacturers. Many suppliers build parts for multiple brands, so an intake manifold manufacturer can struggle providing parts to fit a Ford and a Chevy at the same time. And production seems to get the priority, so service parts are in short supply.

Yes, you are not alone in your frustration.
Seadoo (BRP) seems to be one of the worst when it comes to discontinuing parts.
Considering you can still get most parts for a Kawasaki 440, Seadoo should be ashamed.

Like you, I love my Seadoo's and bleed Seadoo yellow but if I ever buy a new ski it will be a Yamaha.

hoard the parts when you can if you know you are going to use them eventually start to source them and keep them in stock is better to retain a client with quick turn around vs trying to source parts upon arrival of the boat

Perfect example is my 95 speedster I needed a carrier bearing and some other small odds and ends to get my boat and going this year. Seadoo local dealer wanted to order the parts in takes them about 1.5 weeks for arrival. I decided why wait I ordered myself and removed the jet drive assembly while waiting for the parts. Saves me a hoard of cash instead of paying markup on parts and labor do it myself ill happily pay a premium for service but not if they dont have the parts in stock otherwise i'm often going to just do it myself

Back