Sea Doo Challenger intermittently RPM surges

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CLSeadoo

I purchase a 2011 sea Doo challenger last year. Ran great, winterized it. At first sea Doo would not go over 6000 rpm. And sputtered at lower rpm. Though maybe I did not add the right amount of fuel additive. Added some new fuel, now still does not go over 6000 rpm, except will sometime surge to 7000 rpm. Close to what I remember at full throttle. Could this be degraded fuel? Is there a recommended fuel additive?

I would check to make sure your intercooler are not leaking water into your intake.

When you winterized it, what steps were used to deal with your intercooler specifically?

I performed the section in the owners manual. After the first go and not getting over 6k. I tightened the Cooler outlet clamp, nothing significant. Add new gas and then started to get the surge. New to boats, how could I check your suggestion.

Intercooler Draining

It is important to expel any trapped wa- ter that may have accumulated from condensation in the intercooler.
Proceed as follows:
1. Open the engine cover.
2. Ensure there is an alignment line drawn on the intercooler outlet hose. This will ensure the hose is not twisted or kinked on reinstalla- tion.
3. Loosen the clamp retaining the in- tercooler outlet hose.
4. Remove the intercooler outlet hose from the intercooler.
NOTE: This hose feeds the inlet of the supercharger.
1. Intercooleroutlethose
5. Start and rev the engine up to 4000 RPM several times.

Last edited:
Sounds like you did the right things.

Many don't and there is condensation on the air side and it is in the passageways.

I had symptoms like yours when I purchased my 150 and it was the IC leaking. It was a small leak for me so it resulted in surging and lack of being able to reach top speed.

Other issues that cause the same.

Next for me would be plugs.

Take the current plugs out and look at them for clues. Replace with new ones.

If one of the plugs is different, it might be a coil. I had a stutter and odd bog that turned out to be a bad coil. I bought a single new coil and put it first in the cly of the spark plug that had a touch of carbon on it vs the others. Problem solved.

Just some ideas

Sounds like you did the right things.

Many don't and there is condensation on the air side and it is in the passageways.

I had symptoms like yours when I purchased my 150 and it was the IC leaking. It was a small leak for me so it resulted in surging and lack of being able to reach top speed.

Other issues that cause the same.

Next for me would be plugs.

Take the current plugs out and look at them for clues. Replace with new ones.

If one of the plugs is different, it might be a coil. I had a stutter and odd bog that turned out to be a bad coil. I bought a single new coil and put it first in the cly of the spark plug that had a touch of carbon on it vs the others. Problem solved.

Just some ideas
Thanks for the info. Been looking and have not found a torque spec for spark plugs. Would you happen to know. Also took the boat out and ran at 5000 rpm for 10 minutes and no surges then was able to accelerate to 7100 rpm and hit 43 mph.

Nice to see it working well for you.

I am still weeks away here from being able to run it. Too much debris in the water.

On my 2005 Seadoo GTX jetski, those symptoms are always plugs, they eat them. Just change them, they are cheap at auto parts store. Plug spec on mine is hand tight + 1/4 turn, with anti seize & dielectric. You should check your manual or get one.
Luck

Spark Plug Installation
Prior to installation make sure that contact sur-
faces of the cylinder head and spark plug are free
of grime.
1. Using a wire feeler gauge, set electrode gap
according to the following chart.
2. Apply anti-seize lubricant over the spark plug
threads to prevent possible seizure.
3. Hand screw spark plug into cylinder head.
Then, tighten the spark plug clockwise an
additional 1/4 turn with a proper socket
ENGINE SPARK
PLUG TORQUE GAP
mm (in)
All 4-TEC NGK
DCPR8E
Hand tighten
+ 1/4 turn with
a socket
0.75 (.030

Had similar issue with my Challenger. How many hours on the boat? When was supercharger last rebuilt? Could be excessive slip in the supercharger,

Thanks for the info, 45 hours third owner. Previous owner only had a year. Original owner took good care of it, but not sure if the supercharger was rebuilt

They recommend every 200 hours or every 2 years. There are procedures for checking for proper slip in the clutch. I just had all my supercharges on my jetski's and Challenger boat done. On the ski's , picked up 5 miles per hour and they were running good before. Boat has more get up and go after the rebuilds.

Ironically,,,a bulletin from porche…years ago…advised NOT to apply anti seize compound because it prevented full,grounding of the spark plug,,,so,,to this day in my car and ski…no compound…just some food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back