Sea Doo 240EFI X-20 2002 Jet Boat will not idle, burning through fuel too fast, rich

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fleiss75

Hello

Thank you for any help with this boat. Im having a hard time getting anyone to work on the boat so I am asking for some help here.
My boat sat for the winter, I did have fuel treatment in it. Recently, I charged the battery, used lucus fuel treatment, changed the plugs and installed a new temp head sensor. The boat will not idle, I tried to adjust idle but nothing helped. So that is when I changed the plugs and sensor hoping it would help. The boat will only start if I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right and engage the steering assist. Once its up and running, it seems like it is burning fuel off so fast. We went through 30 gallons in 3 hours..Any recommendations? When I cut the boat off in the water, I have a really hard time starting it up again. I have no idea where to start

You said you changed the temp sensor. I assume it was the port temp sensor. The part number for mine is 13536A14. Did you install the new temp sensor using thermal heat sink compound? If not, get some at Radio Shack. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the temp sensor. Your problem really sounds like a temp sensor problem to me. I would check the wire connections. If $40 isn't a big deal to you I would replace it again and make sure it's installed correctly. If the sensor gets too hot the insulation on the wires on the inside of the sensor melt and short to the case. I don't think the metal case for the temp sensor should be touching the metal of the engine. There should be a black plastic insulator around the temp sensor so it doesn't get too hot. The temp sensor affects gas mileage in a big way. It also solves the warm engine hard starting problem.

I installed that with heat sink and it didnt change anything...so I finally broke down and found a certified Mercury tech, he said the o rings on the injectors were leaking causing too much fuel. Once he got them to his shop, he said all injectors were clogged, soaked for a week and still cannot get 2 work. Lovely that he charged me 3 hours of labor when I could have sent the damn things out for $125 bucks..but lesson learned...

good240EFIM2 mechanic hard to find

Sorry to hear about the boat. A good 240EFI M2 mechanic is very hard to find. I wouldn't trust anyone unless they owned one themselves. That's why I have to do my own repairs. There are a lot of things that can go wrong and do wierd stuff. It takes a lot of trial and error to solve problems. My Mercury repair shop doesn't know anything about that engine/pump. I would think if the injectors were plugged then it wouldn't burn a lot of gas. As long as the injector area is opened up I would have him inspect the reeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back