Scratches in plastic

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterDollar

I figure the material that houses the gauges and mirrors on an RXT are made of plastic, not fiberglass and gelcoat. Am I right?

I have a couple of reasonably deep scratches just below my right hand mirror. The attached photo was taken before the scratches happened, but you can get an idea of where they are.

Can anyone tell me how to repair or fill the scratches? :confused: They're about 1mm deep so I can't polish them out.

Attachments

• IMG 00009.jpg
    IMG 00009.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 51
I dont believe anything short of buying that whole piece of plastic will fix those scratches, anyway you would fill them in would look like hell probably, how did you get scratches there anyway?

best result here would be first pull your hood off the ski (less to tape off) next you are going to have to know how to do paint work, prep the areas by sanding them down then tape off the hood to prevent overspray, fill the scratches with a marine filler called adtech 17 filler......follow the directions to the "T". Then wait a day for it to fully cure....sand the areas down and prep for paint, for those small areas use either a touch-up spray gun or buy one of those glass bottle that is a sprayer and hooks up to a co2 can, mix up your paint fill your gun/sprayer and spray your repaired areas.....wait a full day for it to cure and sand it down and buff it out.

Yes it is a plastic hood.

best result here would be first pull your hood off the ski (less to tape off) next you are going to have to know how to do paint work, prep the areas by sanding them down then tape off the hood to prevent overspray, fill the scratches with a marine filler called adtech 17 filler......follow the directions to the "T". Then wait a day for it to fully cure....sand the areas down and prep for paint, for those small areas use either a touch-up spray gun or buy one of those glass bottle that is a sprayer and hooks up to a co2 can, mix up your paint fill your gun/sprayer and spray your repaired areas.....wait a full day for it to cure and sand it down and buff it out.

Yes it is a plastic hood.

OK custompartsguy thanks for the advice. What kind of paint sticks to plastic and won't peel off in a year or so?

It looks like the adtech 17 filler comes in black, grey or white. Is there any way to put a pigment into the white marine filler to try to match the yellow plastic to avoid painting?

no it is filler it will need to be top coated with paint, they sell a plastic adheasive spray called bulldog if I remember right. If done right it will not peel

the yellow hood if like mine is painted that color, I have a 2000 gtx and the hood comes from the factory painted metalic blue....either way it is paintable and will not peel

Silver Touch-up

Does anyone know of a good aftermarket touch up paint for a silver 2006 GTX? Would like to ge a close color match on my mirror scratches.

Thanks.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back