SBT Cylinder Prep

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this pretty normal for SBT Cylinder Exchange?? I've had nothing but problems with them so far, so par for the course, but I went this way so I could avoid needing machine work on my cylinders... I just noticed this one, so I'm gonna have to go through all 3 I guess. I'm not really worried they're gonna be an issue, but it's still pretty significant for wall damage on a brand new sleeve.

Agree, no pics or info but poor quality is synonymous with SBT.
Really?? I mean that lines up perfect with my experience, and I know 90% of guys think these skis run on black magic and OEM-Only decal kits, but SBT was the place every single post recommended

Really?? I mean that lines up perfect with my experience, and I know 90% of guys think these skis run on black magic and OEM-Only decal kits, but SBT was the place every single post recommended
I wouldn't run those. New cylinders should not have vertical gouges like that. The will allow hot gasses by the rings and eventually burn off the oil film which will scuff a piston.

I also don't see a lot of chamfering on the ports either.

I always recommend having your cylinders bored by a reputable shop like Group K and new pistons. IF you want a cheap top end immediately the SBT is your only option but as you have seen their quality can leave a lot to be desired.

Can you get your fingernail in the grooves on the bore? Looks like marks made by the chamfer tools. I've put marks in cylinders while chamfering. Stuff like that happens. Take some120 grit emery paper and make cross-hatchs in the cylinder bore. Most of that will likely disappear.

You can buy some small course files and chamfer the ports. You'll probably put marks like have in there already. LOL It doesn't have to be a big chamfer but the point is you don't want a sharp edge on the ports that can hook a ring.

I wouldn't run those. New cylinders should not have vertical gouges like that. The will allow hot gasses by the rings and eventually burn off the oil film which will scuff a piston.

I always recommend having your cylinders bored by a reputable shop like Group K and new pistons. IF you want a cheap top end immediately the SBT is your only option but as you have seen their quality can leave a lot to be desired.
Wow, I really expected better. SBT has been hyped up so much for OEM parts, I really thought I was gonna have a better experience. The whole point of buying from them was

Wow, after all the hype I've heard about them, finding a reputable place with OEM parts, etc... I expected a lot better. I specifically bought from them because I wanted my new pistons matched to the cylinder and ready to go. With my non marine stuff I usually take my cylinder in and buy whatever size piston I want and have it all ground and finished to match, to but the lead out time here was months and I needed a new sleeve in one, so the exchange sounded sweet. And for the money (~$600 I think) I thought they'd at least meet their own promises.

I'm finding other problems now that I'm searching for them, but is there anything else specific you can think of Mic? They didn't send me proper rings, so that's going to be addressed. I only got 1 head gasket, so I'm curious about squish adjustment, but I can't check anything until I can install a piston. I thought that scratch was a bit yucky for a new cylinder, but I can't really feel it so I thought it was cosmetic. Do you think it's that bad? I'm a little at a loss on what to do here. I think I'll start trying to find tolerances and measure. Hopefully I can get rings soon.

Not sure where you got that information but SBT isn’t high quality and definitely nothing from them is OEM. Think of them as Walmart or Big Lots of PWC parts.

Definitely never trust their electrical or fuel related parts.

For engine parts and work they are exactly what you found, cheap replacement parts and nothing more.

Of the 5 skis that I saw blow up engines this summer every one of them has an SBT reman engine.

SBT exists because… 1, a lot of people don’t have a clue they have inferior parts and just buy because the search engine hits them and the price is cheap.
2. It’s an exchange engine with a warranty and they aren’t comfortable doing a rebuild themselves.

I only suggest SBT if someone needs an engine immediately, wants a warranty and can’t rebuild themselves and then it’s not a bad option.

Last edited:
Completely agree and I learned the hard way as well on my first ski 10+ years ago. They've only gotten worst since then. There are some things I will buy from them such as traction mats and some gaskets but that's about it.

I always compare them to harbor freight for skis. They shop for the cheapest Chinese company to make their parts and don't really care about quality. Replacing some parts or engines under warranty still makes them tons more profit than selling more expensive quality stuff. Engines are the worst since the warranty doesn't cover shipping or install. If someone paid a shop to put in an engine and it blows a week later, they have to pay shipping and the shop again to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back