Saltwater boat with less than 30hrs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gb387

What are the thoughts on a saltwater boat with less than 30 hours on it? It's a 2017 Chaparral vortex, but only because Sea-Doo quit making boats and we need a bigger boat.

A boat with 30 hours in the bottom of the sea won't be worth much but one that was trailered and perhaps flushed after each use could be in great condition.

You need to inspect it carefully, especially for signs of corrosion. And, of course you need to water test it, take an hour cruising around, test if everything works. Does it run well and look well taken care of? Like new, this boat should look.

Was it left in the water hours, days weeks months? Does it show signs of corrosion? Are they asking a lower price as an equal freshwater boat would bring?

Is the trailer at least galvanized, in my experience you can hear a mild steel trailer rusting away after being dunked in saltwater.

If the boat has an engine designed for fresh water, flushing is more important. Are there signs of corrosion anywhere? If so, fasteners tend to snap off when disassembling for service.

I bought a 2012 seadoo challenger late last yr that had some salt water use. Not knowing this when I bought it or even thinking about the issues I bought it because it was in good shape and still is. It runs great but when I decided to do maintenance on it a few months ago and pull the jet pumps and such is when I ran into a issue. The reverse gate brackets I had to cut off the pumps because the stainless bolts had corroded into the aluminum. They are replaceable and around $200 each new, plus I found the pump bearings shot on one. I did find a used assembly and now have extra parts. It's been a learning experience but more so because I keep getting the wrong parts because mine is a non supercharged model and I keep getting supercharged parts even from a dealer. Have it checked out! This has been a pain but I've almost got her back together now. Good luck

I agree with the others. I'd have questions for the owner in regards to flushing the exhaust and pump maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back