Runaway 951

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jclark782

I have a 2000 rx carbbed when I bought it had low compression (I didn’t check it got screwed) so I put a set of jugs and pistons in it now after getting it all back together the engine wants to run away on me like revvs straight to 6 grand in the water compression before doing pistons was like 80 psi but it ran fine it just didn’t go above like 45 mph kinda stuck idk what to do at this point

Things checked
Throttle linkage working properly
No obvious disconnected vacuum hoses

Last edited:
I don't know much about the ski, but is the throttle cable and throttle linkage functioning properly? Also, does this ski have vacuum lines? Maybe you have a vacuum leak somewhere? It's got to be getting uncalled for air/fuel from somewhere.

If the cable has slack and the idle screw is backed out then you have an air leak. It is most likely between the carbs and the intake so check that.

Not everyone does it but you really should pressure test any engine you have apart for air leaks.

The only way is to block off the carbs and exhaust manifold and fill the engine with 8 psi through the pulse nipple. It should hold exactly 8 psi for a minimum of 10 minutes.

I would check the easy stuff first, throttle cable, idle screw, carb base gaskets.

Also the 951 is really lean and perfectly fine ones have been know to runaway on the trailer if you rev the engine up too much. If this is happening in the water then you have another issue.

I didn’t mess with the idler screw but I’m wondering if the previous owner might have cut off a lot of the fuel with the idler screw to make it idle with 80 psi compression

Throttle cable is definitely slack and the carb base gasket is brand new not saying it’s impossible for it to be bad just wouldn’t suspect it but I’ll check

That is very possible.

I would back the screw all the way off until it isn't touching the throttle arm then turn it in 1 full turn after it touches. This should at least let it sputter to life on the trailer until you can adjust it closer.

No, you have to take the carbs off and the exhaust manifold off and block off the openings, I have some rubber block off templates from back in the day that get sandwiched between the manifold and carbs to make an air tight seal. Then you put 8 psi into the crankcase nipple with a gauge and schrader valve to keep it air tight. You then make sure the gauge doesn't drop, you do not keep pumping air in, you want a closed system.

No, you have to take the carbs off and the exhaust manifold off and block off the openings, I have some rubber block off templates from back in the day that get sandwiched between the manifold and carbs to make an air tight seal. Then you put 8 psi into the crankcase nipple with a gauge and schrader valve to keep it air tight. You then make sure the gauge doesn't drop, you do not keep pumping air in, you want a closed system.

Is this a test for case leaks? I'm learning too. Lol

Yes, it will test for leaks at all engine gaskets and seals. It should be done on any old engine or engine that has been apart and especially after a rebuild.

No but it didn’t have the issue before doing the engine so I wouldn’t think they’d suddenly go bad I did the job with the motor in the ski

No but it didn’t have the issue before doing the engine so I wouldn’t think they’d suddenly go bad I did the job with the motor in the ski

This doesn't make any sense. Your first post says you bought it with low compression already. How do you know a seal wasn't leaking and caused the first seizure? You have no idea if there was an issue with the seals unless you pressure test the engine or visually inspected them for wear.

Chester

If the seals were worn out before had would it not have runaway with bad compression and now suddenly with compression be running away?

This doesn't make any sense. Your first post says you bought it with low compression already. How do you know a seal wasn't leaking and caused the first seizure? You have no idea if there was an issue with the seals unless you pressure test the engine or visually inspected them for wear.

Chester

If the crankshaft seals were bad enough to cause a vacuum leak of that magnitude to cause a 6000rpm spike, wouldn't he would have bigger issues? I could see them contributing, but I would start small.

If the seals were worn out before had would it not have runaway with bad compression and now suddenly with compression be running away?

Rebuilding the top end and improving compression will also increase vacuum throughout, so in my opinion it could happen.

Nope. Check the seals. Never ever do a top end without checking/replacing the seals on A PWC.

Chester

You are sucking air somewhere. Check you carb base gasket. Might have slipped while installing your carbs.

So I’ve played with the carb still no luck also along with running away exhaust smokes a lot and drips oil just clarifying the symptoms would be from a bad crank seal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back