Rubber and Vinyl cleanup and restore

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apeman

I remember reading a resto thread on the forum here, of a guy who restored a yellow XP.
He described a technique for cleaning and/or resurfacing the rubber hood and other varoius parts which left them in a very clean, but dull state.
Then finishing the job with WipeNew and it looked like showroom.
For the life of me, I cannot find that thread.
I would appreciate some steering or guidance.
Thanks in advance,
-apeman-

I used soft scrub and a scotch brite pad on the plastic yellow hood, followed by the wipe new. Seemed to work out well for my 2 xp's.
I've read a few guys using buffers but you have to be careful on speed and pressure or the plastic will mar and melt.
Read some tips about the black rubber trim but can't remember them now. Seem to remember peanut butter being one of the tricks on the rub rail. Never tried it though.
Or you could maybe try a car rubber restore product if no one else answers with ideas.

107.jpg

On the black rub rails use Kleen Strip brand Lacquer Thinner followed by wipe new. On the rubber handle bar pad you can use Naptha but they don't come out perfect.
There was a member here that had someone restore the yellow pads but I am not sure who it was.

If anyone wants the bar pads done I'll get you in contact with the guy. He's only doing yellow, he's not satisfied to his standard with other colors. The yellow ones look OEM fresh when they're finished.

I used spray brake cleaner to clean up the yellow seat on a 95 XP. Came out nice. Be careful, brake cleaner will eat the decals.

I wouldn't use break cleaner on vinyl or plastics. It has a very good chance of melting it or cracking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back