Rotax engine crosses?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kgu5

Does anyone know if any engines will bolt up directley in a 1988 seadoo xp with a white rotax 587? Or if that is even possible?

Electricals....

That's usually the kicker on members wanting to go from the 717 to the 787. The engine isn't the problem, its the electrical system. It's like you got to do a complete change over, everything.........:agree:

would you happen to know off hand how different the electrical is from the 587 to a larger engine because there isnt a whole lot of electronice on the one i have

If I am not mistaken I believe the only electic change will be on engine not the craft at least 650 657 and 720. the 587 may also be included but I am not sure. good luck Robin

i have been researching this issue a little. yellow 580's are timed 18-20 degrees. all white 580 thru 720 motors are timed from 19 to 21 or 20 to 22 degrees. i have had people tell me no matter where u time them, the mpem will just advance it enough to burn up your pistons. there ain't no tdc sensor. the mpem only knows what it is told. all that stuff in the manual with a dial indicator in the plug hole is NOT timing the motor. it is only you setting up an accurate timing mark. then you time the motor by adjusting the stator plate after u see what u got. use the mpem that came with the ski. use the exhaust that came with the motor. it is tuned for the engine and the cooling system is plumbed to go with the motor. throttle linkage might be the biggest pain. so far, the only one i did was a 580 into a 720 ski. i used the 720 carb and rotary valve cover. it ran 30 seconds just fine, and then the rotary valve hung up in the cover and stopped-stripping my rot. valve brass gear. that was my mistake-i think. the holes need to line up both sides of rotary valve. so use the rotary valve cover that came with the motor. NONE of this applies to the 787 motor. that is like putting a chebby motor in a ford. 580 to 720 is like taking out a 305 and putting in a 350.

The key here is, if you swap out engines you have to swap everything to make it compatible. Everything is different in the engines as most parts aren't interchangeable.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back