Rope size for tubing

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorc5505

Hi everyone I currently use a 60 foot rope for tubing and of course the riders get blasted with water while in the wake.

I'm wondering if the official verdict was to get a
75 foot rope?

I use a 60’, with small tubes they get a bunch of water but with the 3seater or the big Bertha tube they don’t have issues. There are a couple different brand of power balls that go about half way between boat and tube to keep them up etc. haven’t used since we went with taller tubes etc. with as crowded as some lakes get I’m not crazy about sticking the kiddos out further than they already are etc.

It's perfectly acceptable and I encourage you to add an extension if that suits your needs.

If done by making the end splices looped using the splicing instructions and tool provided with many of these ropes, you can easily replace a broken or damaged section or adjust length on the fly.

My current rope is made in sections of orange, blue, yellow and maybe a couple other colors just to make it flashy. I placed a small pool float just fore of the handle harness so the driver can easily identify the location of the handle. This handle section FWIW, is easily removable in case of tubing where you might not want or need the small pool float.

75ft length is perfect, IMO.

It's perfectly acceptable and I encourage you to add an extension if that suits your needs.

If done by making the end splices looped using the splicing instructions and tool provided with many of these ropes, you can easily replace a broken or damaged section or adjust length on the fly.

My current rope is made in sections of orange, blue, yellow and maybe a couple other colors just to make it flashy. I placed a small pool float just fore of the handle harness so the driver can easily identify the location of the handle. This handle section FWIW, is easily removable in case of tubing where you might not want or need the small pool float.

75ft length is perfect, IMO.

Sorry for my ignorance but what tool and instructions??

I have a pair of 60 foot ropes but would like to make 75 feet. I have spliced loops into fender whips and dock lines so I do know how to do that...

Is that what your referring to?

Do I need to get special rope?

There's a simple plastic poly needle that used to come with most ski ropes, the've kinds disappeared from the packages over the years. Those came with instructions of how to make a loop at the end of both ropes and you just feed the one through the other simultaneously to create a longer rope from two sections, they're not spliced together.

I'll see if I can locate some instructions to follow and post them here..

Here's a youtube example. In this one he used heat to melt the end of the hollow-braded rope so the needle to feed the end back through the hollow inside was unnecessary. If you're out in the wild the needle eliminates the need to melt the rope end.

Let me know if this doesn't work for some reason.

These are a couple of the "needles" I found in my drawer of what-knots, for two different size rope. Pretty easy to make one or a few with a 5" section of hollow plastic tubing, the most challenging aspect would be heat-forming a suitable tip on one end.

Attachments

• 0508191220[1].jpg
    0508191220[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • 0508191220a[1].jpg
    0508191220a[1].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 0508191219[1].jpg
    0508191219[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.