RFI swapping an X4

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgoodwin10

My searches haven't turned up anything - has anyone ever swapped a 787 RFI in place of a carb'd motor in an X4 hull? A fuel injected X4 sounds neat, at least in my book.

I have a 97 SPX (build thread link below) that is slated for resurrection this winter and also happen to have parted out a 2000 GTX RFI last year. I have always wanted to learn the RFIs and the carb'd motor currently in the SPX is locked up, so I wanted to ask those that are far more knowledgeable than myself - is there a reason this swap isn't possible? I know the exhaust may get interesting since the water box is on the wrong side and the fuel tank will have to be modded for the fuel pump.

RESTO - 1997 SPX Build

Flame suit engage.

That is a heck of an IDEA !! Right off the top you'd have to modify the gas tank for the fuel system It might be too tall. But I think you could get past that by using a different type of pump. That would be the interesting part. I don't see where mounting the MPEM would be an issue. May need another line through the back of the hull for the cooling water coming from under the engine. I like the idea. I'm learning RFIs myself and everything else. :)

Regarding RFIs, I've wondered if one can get more horsepower out of them. The MPEM controls the timing and how much fuel goes in... that's 2/3 of the equation. :D

There really isn't anything to gain from the RFI swap. Rebuild the carbs and enjoy.
If you want to go all in on an X4 then swap in a 951.

Other than you get the 110 horse.. forever... I'm not hating this idea at all.
You've already stated the two biggest issues you may have, another would be that the front mount would be a bit different, so you'd have to do something there.. easy enough.
Personally, if I were looking to RFI swap a ski for fun and giggles, I would take a blown GSXL and do it. It would be just like any other RFI GSX, but with a 155 pump. And an RFI GSX is a pretty damn solid machine.

This build will be the sum of all the good parts I have leftover from 8 years of flipping skis, so worst case I rebuild the carb'd 787 that's there and rock out. My inner glutton - for - punishment self wants to try something different with this ski. I definitely intend to research the feasibility of this swap and will be sure to document it for other folks to either do it better or run far far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back