reverse gait and venturri question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

idoc4u

I own a 99 GTX LTD and recently rebuilt the jet pump. I put it all back together yesterday but I am questioning something. From the manual it appears as though the the 4 bolts (#10) pass through the reverse gait housing (plastic), then the venturri as they enter the pump housing.

However, as I tightened the bolts, they didn't seem to tighten up real well. I am wondering if the reverse gait (plastic) is correctly placed by being more posterior than the venturri. The bolts sit recessed in the plastic reverse gait housing which seems to make sense. I'm just concerned because they didn't tighten real tight. I didn't want to over tighten either and compress the plastic. I don't have a torque wrench, so it might all be fine, but just checking to see if anyone knows if I have the correct order of parts.

Thank you...........Tony

Reverse Gate?

Tony, it seems like you did everything right by what you wrote in your thread, but I'm wondering if your reverse gate is seated all the way up. I know how tough it is to hold that plastic reverse gate and get the nuts on and started when we were only given two hands in life to work with. I have on one occasion, not had my gate all the way up when I started to tighten it up. Like you said, it felt like they were snugging up, they just weren't getting tight. I looked really good and noticed that it wasn't up as close as it was suppose to be.
If you have everything seated the way it's suppose to be, you should be able to actually feel the nuts bottom out on the surface and feel the tension on your socket that it's tight. I believe the torque on that item is around 18 ft. lbs, so that isn't a lot of hard muscle action on it anyway.
If you think your o.k. with your work, just make sure you check on all the nuts after you ride. I don't use locktite on mine because all 8 nuts are easily accessible from just looking and I take my pump off quite often for inspection of the impellor, stator and oil condition. Reason being is it is a second hand boat and I don't know alot about the boats history.
Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps you out. You said you have a manual and you rebuilt your pump. Did you follow the guidlines on putting your bearings in at the desired depth from the flush of the casing and was it a fairly simple task? Just wanting your input here since there are several forum members here wanting to take on that task and are worried that they'll not be able to complete the job. When I did mine, I found the only tool I HAD to buy was the impellor tool. How about you?
Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back