Reverse Bucket

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaTeRMaNiaC407

Hey All,

So I am out with my 2012 Speedster right after my 10 hour service. I ride about 30 miles mostly just cruising, not doing anything particulary crazy. I notice that when I go to dock I have a hard time getting the boat in reverse. When I pull out of the water, I see that the Flange Bolt, washers and sleeve are all missing on the port side of the reverse bucket below the cable.

This is the same setup on earlier year boats. Anyone heard of this happening? Seems strange after only 13 hours on boat.

That stupid sleeve is expensive too. Is there any danger is using a zinc coated replacement flange bolt from a hardware store or do I need to get the seadoo part because it will hold up better in marine conditions.

I appreciate hearing if this is common or not.

home depot sells stainless steel bolts, washers, etc. where was you at ??? i was at lake thonotassa today

The only Flange bolts that they had that were an exact replacement were just "Zinc Coated". I am not sure if that means zinc coated stainless steel.

This was on Saturday. I was on east coast around Flagler Beach (North of Daytona).

i just googled (stainless steel bolts orlando) and several places where you are at has em, im not sure the closest to you though, that will be your simplest solution

you just gotta keep up after all kinda bolts, nuts, etc on these boats and skis and trailers, i noticed today on my trailer that the left rear bolt on my bunk was missing, the board (bunk) floated up when i put ski in the water -- lol

I guess so, but I mean first trip after the 10 hour service? I would have figured that the dealer might have checked the pump housing to ensure that all was tight and secure.

That sucks about the bunk! Kinda funny though too.

Wouldn't this be covered by your warranty?

It might be covered by warranty. Problem is...would have to take boat to dealer which is about 30 miles away and about $6 in tolls each way. If I had to leave the boat there, and I probably would, that is a total of 120 miles of driving and $24 in tolls. Cheaper to just buy the bolt and save the trip to the dealer.

I agree stainless is the way to go if you have access to them. Zinc is not a coating for stainless and will rust eventually (and break if you let it get that far).

Get this correct in the first place.Stainless steel bolts and nuts are not coated with anything.They are graded by numbers.Or a name quality.Use marine grade rated stainless and your grandchildren wont even change them.Stainlessnuts and bolts,DO NOT get a coating on them.It is the quality of the stainless.Do not buy asian crap.

Thanks guys,
I was able to find a galvanized bolt to get through the weekend and will order the specific seadoo part for the permanent solution.

Get this correct in the first place.Stainless steel bolts and nuts are not coated with anything.They are graded by numbers.Or a name quality.Use marine grade rated stainless and your grandchildren wont even change them.Stainlessnuts and bolts,DO NOT get a coating on them.It is the quality of the stainless.Do not buy asian crap.

Could not agree more with everything you said!

How's it going.. Not sure if you are referring to the same issue I had but here is a quick picture..
123.jpg

Had my boat out also after the 10 hour service.. Noticed that I was having a hard time "shifting".. Felt like the cable was snagged on something.. But once in a while it would "release" and the problem went away.. Was going to bring it into the dealer but they were supposedly booked.. Ended up going out a second day and pulled out of the dock to wait for my brother to park the truck.. Put her in forward to head back and pick him up when all of a sudden I am flying in reverse.. Not sure what the hell happened so I shift back into neutral and then back to forward but still going in reverse.. get out and the above picture is what I find except the bucket and silver piece were not connected.. Cost be about 100 in parts.. You need the bolt, 2 bushings, locktite, and shoulder nut..

Wow....My bolt that was missing is the one right below the one you have circled. What is going on that this is happening right after the 10 hour service? How freaky is that to not be able to go forward? Are you buying the parts or did the dealer say they would cover under warranty?

Called dealer to tell them what happened.. Told me that bolts, screws, nuts, etc are considered normal wear and tear parts and would not cover it.. Just ended up buying the parts myself instead of battling it out with them.. Mind you the boat was not even a year old.. was a little upset about the whole thing but whatever.. I knew it was going to be an expensive hobby lol..

Wow this is not cool, the whole reason I bought a brand new one with 3 year warranty was not to have this exact same problem, on my 95 sportster I even carried an extra reverse bucket lever and clamp and bolts, wow how disheartening to come to find this out guys, I haven't even taking my new boat out.. That's not cool that you can't go forward, that's a very unsafe situation, what about if you were in the middle of lake Mohave? That sucks

Wow this is not cool, the whole reason I bought a brand new one with 3 year warranty was not to have this exact same problem, on my 95 sportster I even carried an extra reverse bucket lever and clamp and bolts, wow how disheartening to come to find this out guys, I haven't even taking my new boat out.. That's not cool that you can't go forward, that's a very unsafe situation, what about if you were in the middle of lake Mohave? That sucks

Well in my case I was only maybe 30-50 feet from the dock so I just reversed it back to the dock.. Had I been in the middle of the bay or further out I would have tried to fiddle with it and in the end would have just tied a rope around the bucket to lift it to forward.. Once I had the boat out on the trailer I was able to snap it back into place and it would go forward and reverse but didn't have the bolt to hold it in so too much movement and it would have snapped back out of place.. But again worst case if you are in this situation you just tie a rope to it and hold the bucket up or push it down for whatever "gear" you need..

Called dealer to tell them what happened.. Told me that bolts, screws, nuts, etc are considered normal wear and tear parts and would not cover it.. Just ended up buying the parts myself instead of battling it out with them.. Mind you the boat was not even a year old.. was a little upset about the whole thing but whatever.. I knew it was going to be an expensive hobby lol..

Although I fixed mine by myself, I did tell the dealer about it and he said that it would definately have been covered under warranty. It is very interesting how dealers differ in what they think should be covered on these boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back