Replacing sound barrier?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmitchum

Anyone ever replace the sponge-like sound barrier on the sides and top cover of the engine compartment? Mine is really ugly and breaking down... leaves little black sponge pieces on my arms and in the bilge every time it gets rubbed - drives my OCD crazy and I wouldn't want a large piece to get sucked into the bilge pump.

It looks like it would mostly peel off the panels, and the adhesive would clean up with some Goo-Gone and elbow grease. (Maybe a pressure washer.)

Any thoughts? Should I stick with OEM replacements or are their other creative solutions out there?

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

Mine degraded, and I removed and replaced it. The original one has an adhesive tape backing. if you peel it off slowly and work your way from one corner, you can remove it cleanly without much residue.

I didnt check on OEM replacement, so not sure how much that would be. I used a reflective insulating material from Lowes (might also find one in home depot), and it has worked really well.
I believe this is it from lowes: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
It looks like a thicker bubble wrap material that is reflective on both sides. I measured and cut it for the 2 side panels and the lid of the engine compartment cover, and I used a 3M high strength spray adhesive (also from home depot) to glue it to the panels, and it stayed on strong.

-Chika

Thanks for the reply... that is along the lines of what I had in mind. I'm hoping to find something that does well with noise insulating as well. Do you remember if there was a noticeable difference (+ or -) in engine noise after installing the reflective bubble wrap material? Or is it too insignificant to even worry about?

Here is one of the products I'm looking into -- LINK

I had already replaced it before I took the boat out for the first time, so I dont really have any direct comparison.
However, I am very satisfied with it. With the engine bay closed and the sun deck down the sound is muffled very well at idle, better than a lot of the boats I come accros in the water. It could be because I have the optimax engine which I read somewhere that is a bit quieter.
When I usually start it in the water before I rev up, I could barely hear it. I usually depend on the tach to know when the engine had picked up.

The one you are considering looks good. Probably better than what I used.

Good info, thank you. I think I am going to go the same route you went... the cost difference is pretty big (the stuff I was looking at was like $1.80 per sq/ft) and I think the sundeck and cushions have to block most of the noise. Although, I am going out this weekend with no insulation, just to get a baseline.

I've also been thinking about some spray (non flam) insulation on the bottom of the removable ski locker bin, as it seems that might help cut down on engine noise, too. I dunno...

You think the Hydro Turf made any difference to noise levels? Mine ought to be here next week, and I am jazzed.

This thread was great, I hated that crumbling foam so much but was not sure what direction to go in. This morning I was off to Lowes and back with the reflective barrier and some spray adhesive. I pulled the old stuff off, it is attached to an adhesive sheet. Got some Goo Gone and one of those Magic Eraser Cleaners, slowly but surely the project got done. The link that Chika provided was for the 16" x 25' role and it was more than enough to the the two sides and the lid. Thanks for the tip.

Eddie

Attachments

• IMG_20110714_163523.jpg
    IMG_20110714_163523.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20110714_163503.jpg
    IMG_20110714_163503.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20110714_165528.jpg
    IMG_20110714_165528.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 156
That was quick Eddie!
Glad I could help.
Have you taken the boat out since you replaced it? maybe you can give Mitch the direct comparison he was looking for.

-Chika

That was quick Eddie!
Glad I could help.
Have you taken the boat out since you replaced it? maybe you can give Mitch the direct comparison he was looking for.

-Chika

Yes, did I say how much I hated that old foam :cuss:. Wasn't waiting another second on that modification. I have not had it out yet, we are heading to Key Largo for a week with the boat this Saturday :drool5: so I am getting ready for that but once we get down there I will let him know, or when I pull it out of the garage tomorrow I can hook up the hook and see if it is quiet.

Eddie

Wow, Eddie -- you wasted NO time! :)

My foam is dry rotted and sheds "crumbs" every time it comes in contact with anything. My bilge was coated with it. Well, I ripped it all out tonight and will be stopping at Lowe's tomorrow for the insulation and adhesive. Did I say how much I hated that old foam? :)

Thank you both for the inspiration!

Been a good week for the Utopia... changed out the gear oil in the gearbox and stator (WOW, was it nasty stuff coming out. Must have been a while.)... new plugs (with the bloodied OptiMax knuckles)... removed the foam insulation... installed the Hawkeye depth sounder (in-hull transducer)... and fixed the steering assist (starboard was not working) while I was in the helm console.

Next week is looking good too: HydroTurf gets here Monday (YAY!) and fuel filters, air filter (I suspect has NEVER been changed... VERY bad shape), and stainless inlet grate should be arriving later in the week. All in all, I'm going broke but loving it. :)

Thanks again for the inspiration and advice.

-Mitch

Eddie: I was down in Wesley Chapel for a few years. Moved back up to VA (job related) in '09. I miss the area a lot.

So I got the sound barrier in, went to test and I went to test it before I left for Key Largo and saw that the 2nd Alternator belt was broken and the pulley was melted. So the Key Largo trip ended up being in a rented Angler 22 which turned out okay. Now with the belt, pulley and bad alternator replaced ($500 for an alternator, unless you find a new replacement online for $100). Got that in and then took the boat out. I would say it makes it a bit quieter and my reason is my wife got a phone call while we were out there and though I slowed down a bit she was able to complete the phone call, but best of all when you removed the lid you don't have to worry about anything crumbling out, that alone was worth it.

Mmitchum, we rented in Wesley Chapel while we were having our house built. Alot of new shops are still being built there and the traffic is still bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back