Replacement for '95 "safety" aka dead-man's switch?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Normallysailing

I knew there was something else I wanted ask about...

Surely by now someone's come up with a superior replacement for the safety switch & lanyard. We bought new replacement lanyards when we got these two skis; they barely stayed on the switch then, and now even less so. There's no way everyone puts up with this crap. What does the aftermarket have to offer, or has BRP come up with a superior combo that we can upgrade with?

OEM switch and lanyard. The aftermarket stuff is crap and doesn’t stay on in my experience.

OEM switch and lanyard. The aftermarket stuff is crap and doesn’t stay on in my experience.

Well, for a start, can you (or anyone) disambiguate the part numbering? The parts manual shows components 41-43 as part number 278 000 552, and "N" (not illustrated? new?) as 278 000 638. So what's what? And I think when we got these things I went to the dealer for a couple of lanyards and all they had was the same aftermarket junk that we wound up getting on amazon or ebay (the dealer being substantially more expensive, of course).

There's no point in replacing a functioning switch when it's just the little ridge on the nut that's "failing". Makes me want to get my hands on a lathe and just turn some aluminum replacement nuts that these lanyards will stay on. And are any of these pieces still available new OEM - or NOS?

This is really confusing.

And can someone please tell me what "DESS" stands for?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back