Removing the Dash on 1999 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy H

To remove the dash on my Challenger is it the small screws I see when i remove the dry storage and look at the back of the dash?

Are the DESS post and starter buttons integrated?

I have the feeling my post may be toast and am curious haw difficult is it to replace and if any re-programming is required.

Thanks

Dess?

What makes you feel the DESS post is fried?......You will not have to have it re-programmed to replace it. It's a simple magnetic communicator to the mpem. The lanyard post has the integrated ROM (read only memory) chip inside it.

Not sure about taking off the dash, but your logic sounds about right. The starter button is directly controlled through the mpem. The DESS post is too. They both signal the mpem when the boat is ready to start and when it's started.

If your post is bad, it will let you start the boat. While underway, the motor will go dead. That's it, just go dead. No forewarning. It'll normally start back up. Then, when it starts up and you start moving forward again, it'll die on you again.............that's the symptoms of a post about to go out on you.:cheers:

That is exactly what is happening. For a while I got 2 beeps depending on the angle of the boat. Last weekend we took and out and no beeps, but the engines would start (I could hear a click in the engiine around the mpem whenever I put the DESS on) and we cruised around for abour half an hour and then the engines just cut out. I played around for about 15 minutes and then the engines went again. After that we just headed back to shore and took the boat out of the water.

Could it be a short in the beeper? or does it sound like the post is bad?

Is the magnetic feature to hold the DESS on better?

Last edited by a moderator:
By process of elimination it must be the post. The caps do have a magnet and a ROM chip in them,( Read Only Memory).

Karl

Randy here are some tests to see if the lanyard is bad;

Engine start/stop switch verification;
Disconnect the Yellow/Red wire of the start/stop switch. Using an ohmmeter, connect test probes to the Yellow/Red wire and to ground. Measure resistance, it must be an open circuit (switch is normally open). Depress and hold switch, the ohmmeter should read close to “0” ohm.

Safety Lanyard Switch Verification;
If 2 short beeps are not heard when installing the safety lanyard, disconnect the switch wires.
Safety lanyard removed;
connect the test probes to switch Black and Black/Yellow wires. It’s an open circuit, there should be no continuity.
Connect one test probe to the White/Gray wire and the other test probe to the switch terminal. Measure resistance, it should be “0” ohm. Connect one test probe to the Black wire and the other test probe to the switch ring. Measure resistance, it must be close to “0” ohm.
Safety lanyard on switch; connect the probes to switch Black and Black /Yellow wires. Measure resistance, it must be “0” ohm.
Timer Verification;
The timer is integrated into the MPEM. Always confirm that the fuses are in good condition. To confirm operation of timer, remove the safety lanyard from switch. After 5 seconds delay, depress start/stop button once. The timer should stay on for 33 seconds (for example, the gauge(s) will be activated) and than turn off.

I hope this helps.

Karl

Thanks Karl. I'm bringing the boat back home on Sunday so I'll try out your instructions. What does a post cost if it does need replacement?

can't believe it. Got the boat this spring and have only ben able to use it for an hour. ARGGHHHH. Oh well, always next year. At the cost of gas I'll have to have the full tank I have treated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back