Removal of Shifter/throttle cover plate

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dvesky

I removed the white plastic cover and associated four bolts. The remaining four Allen screws underneath are very snug and I'm afraid to strip the heads. Has anyone had to remove his cover before? Any suggestions?

When I had to remove mine (throttle lever broke clean off at the base) I had to drill off the heads. Be careful not to drill through or break the base of the shifter plate. I am not sure of the year or your boat, but the screws on my boat went through the fiberglass and into a strip of aluminum that has been tapped to grip the screws. By the time I was able to back the seized screws with pliers I stripped the aluminum. I ended up re-tapping the aluminum plates up one size since I had to by new screws anyway.

I also ended up replacing the allen screws with standard 6 point bolt heads. I lathered everything up with never seize too! Just in case I or anyone else needs to get back in there.

I should mention as well that the tiny phillips screws that held the plasic cover literally crumbled and I never bothered trying to drill and tap those spots on the shifter plate. I just let the plastic cover float on top. Has not been a problem and I dont think I will ever think about it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back