Redneck Riviera Mar27

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

semperfish

Conditions yesterday at the Redneck Riviera (Gandy Beach) were cooler, windy, with moderate chop in the morning settling down to slightly breezy which warmed it a bit with the sun, and slightly choppy. I went with my wife, sister, and nephew (4yr) and had fun grilling out and getting some much needed sun, (seemed like winter would never end.) The thing that sucked is the water temp was still pretty cold, around 67 to 68, so the spray didn't feel good on the face like it would in mid-summer. My nephew made me promise to just idle because he didnt want to get sprayed again. We got there around 930am and there was a FWC wildlife officer nailing people and jetskis left and right running above idle in the channel that leads back to Galati Yacht Sales. They were oblivious to him because he looked like any other boat just hanging out, but then the blue lights and siren came on and he intercepted them real fast. He gave out 6 tickets or warnings and departed around 1100am, so that was our entertainment for the first half. I learned that lesson going under a bridge in Clearwater. I thought it had to do with speed, because the sign said slow speed and I was just barley pressing the throttle. Well, I learned it has to do with the position of the hull in the water. Slow speed for me is idle and for a big ship could be 25 mph. Doesn't really make since, but I guess they figure idle is dangerous to some boats that need speed to steer. Well I need a little speed too, duh! Anyways, great day.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been cold

I have been donning my wetsuit all winter. With that I actually get hot.

You're right about slow speed. It boils down to how much water you're pushing off the hull but that doesn't mean you can cruise at 30.

Well, also the height and length of the chop and the wind speed and direction. My RXP seems to like to dive into the chop alot more than the GTX DI 3 seater which make it alot more wet of a ride because the spray off the hull will make a sheet right in front of you and then you run right through it. I am always spitting water on the RXP. But thats why its a watersport, but it can be annoying to see when your constantly being sprayed in the face, even with shades, the water makes you blind. I am going to RainX my Oakleys to try to negate that, or bring my mask and snorkel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back