Reading key problem. HELP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I bought my first ski about 2 weeks ago. 2014 GTI 130 with 100 hours. Last few times I've gotten a reading key message sometimes for about a half hour. Very depressing as it runs great but this reading key is killing my time on the water not to mention embarrassing when I brought my in-laws to see it and the damn thing takes forever to read. I've tried cleaning both the post and keys I have. Happens on both keys. I've been reading about it and it sounds like I might have to replace the post. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!

From what I've read, try these few things.

1. Press start button, and then make sure you are connecting the key immediately.
2. Give it a 1/4 turn clockwise upon connecting.

I figure you can try these when the ski is dry without starting it, so worth a shot, though I'm sure you've tried.

Have you tried another key first? If two keys have a problem then it might point to that. I am not sure about your ski but the newer Sea-Doos have a new key system and I haven’t seen yet someone here complaining about the new key system.

Is your terminal completely round like a ball or round but flat in the front?

Yes both keys have the same issue. My ski is a 2014. By terminal you mean the post? It's round with a metal rim and flat on top with a silver circle in the middle.

OK, so it is the old terminal style. It's called the DESS. I would start with that if it was mine. DESS post is not very expensive and not too difficult to replace. I did it on my old 2003 last year. Also, check the inside of your keys for the presence of small metal flakes. Make sure they are clean and free of these debris and if issue persist, there is a good chance that your DESS post is slowly going bad.

OK, so it is the old terminal style. It's called the DESS. I would start with that if it was mine. DESS post is not very expensive and not too difficult to replace. I did it on my old 2003 last year. Also, check the inside of your keys for the presence of small metal flakes. Make sure they are clean and free of these debris and if issue persist, there is a good chance that your DESS post is slowly going bad.
Thank you for the help I appreciate it. I can replace the dess post myself right? I don't need to take it to the dealer to be coded?
Thanks,
Chris

No dealer required. No programming. You may need Allen keys if it is like mine. You just need to find the right part number.

So I went to a local dealer today. They don't offer just the post I would need to buy the whole cluster for the handlebars. They want 350 for The cluster. Think this is worth it? Is the cluster easy to install

I am a bit surprised with that answer but I never dealt with your model. I don't have access to your detailed manual. Maybe someone else on this forum will come up with the answer.

You don't mean cluster, you mean handlebar wiring harness. Cluster is the gauge. You don't need the whole wiring harness, just the post.

Are you pressing start first, waiting a few seconds then putting the key on? Many times if you put the key on first and then press start it will get stuck in a reading key sequence.

Yes I have tried just about everything. It's intermittent which is frustrating. Yes sorry I mean the harness. The guy said it plugs into the gauge and throttle and brake system. He said they don't offer just the post but I see some oem ones online for sale. I was just weary about getting a crap part and having to do this again soon.

To be honest, I bought just the post and cut the wires and replaced the post only (some people on this forum disagreed with me cutting the wires, but hey, on a 2003, I couldn't care less). I then sealed the joints with shrinking tubes and voila. As good as new. Still going on strong after more than a year and checked it a few months ago and everything was dry from last year. But I would not risk flipping over my ski.

Yours however is a 2014 so I am not sure I would do it the same way.

If you buy just the connector beware, they are not all identical (number of wires I believe). OSD parts lists some of them on their web site.

To be honest, I bought just the post and cut the wires and replaced the post only (some people on this forum disagreed with me cutting the wires, but hey, on a 2003, I couldn't care less). I then sealed the joints with shrinking tubes and voila. As good as new. Still going on strong after more than a year and checked it a few months ago and everything was dry from last year. But I would not risk flipping over my ski.

Yours however is a 2014 so I am not sure I would do it the same way.

If you buy just the connector beware, they are not all identical (number of wires I believe). OSD parts lists some of them on their web site.
So basically my question here is if I do replace this wiring harness is it easy to do/will it fix my issue reading the key. ?

If you have the right part number and if this is the real issue, the answer is yes. In my case it worked. Definitely worth to try as it is not expensive.

If you have the right part number and if this is the real issue, the answer is yes. In my case it worked. Definitely worth to try as it is not expensive.
Ok. I don't feel comfortable cutting wires so I am just going to pay the money and buy the harness. I'll go through the dealer to make sure I get the correct one for my model. I don't see what other issue it could be. Runs great just always goes to reading key and gives me one beep.

Ok. I don't feel comfortable cutting wires so I am just going to pay the money and buy the harness. I'll go through the dealer to make sure I get the correct one for my model. I don't see what other issue it could be. Runs great just always goes to reading key and gives me one beep.
I've read the entire thread and the thing that bothers me is the fact that the machine EVENTUALLY recognizes your Key(s). In my brain...this tells me that the DESS post is working, the key is working....its the SKI that is "not recognizing the key immediately".

Have you considered taking the ski and the keys to the dealer and having them wiped out of the ski's memory and having them re-programmed? My dealer charges me $15.00 to re-program a key (and he did 3 for me all at once for the same machine for $15.00....I love my dealer, he is fair/honest and reliable.)

Just a thought!?

With only one key it is harder to diagnose so a second key is a always good thing to have. The local tech here told me has seen some keys losing programming. That's why I suggested a second key in a previous post. However, when DESS posts start to go bad they seem to start malfunctioning gradually (I have seen a few cases like this here). Mine definitely went bad gradually. At first the ski would stop suddenly. I would reconnect the key and it would work. After a few days, it would not read the key (long beep) and sometimes it would (I had to play with it). It eventually went from bad to worse until the ski became unusable (within two weeks).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back