RAVE valve clearance

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Boyd12

I am putting this 951 together and have a question. I am almost certain that the RAVE valves have been shaved (about .020) but I don't want any issues. Is there enough clearance if I can get a .015 feeler gauge between the piston and the RAVE valve? What happens if too much has been removed?
Thanks!Piston-RAVE valve clearance.jpg

If too much metal is removed, then the Exhaust Port would become effectively "Taller". The Bottom End of the Throttle Range will lose some Power, Response and Performance.

The DIY way of clearanceing RAVE Guillotine Blades is to wrap some sandpaper around the old Pistons (assuming they're one size smaller than new Pistons) and sand the Blades down at the proper slant angle until the profile matches the Piston curvature.

So see how the Blade Edge matches up to the old Pistons.

Clearance Specs should be in the Seadoo Service Manual. Download a free copy.

Thank you! I think the spec is for the amount to be removed from the RAVE valve, but I found no spec for piston/RAVE valve clearance. If you anyone knows where it is, please let me know!

It mentions it in the thread I sent, my memory tells me the gap is .020 when new and the minimum gap can be .015 but I could easily be wrong

It mentions it in the thread I sent, my memory tells me the gap is .020 when new and the minimum gap can be .015 but I could easily be wrong
I mentioned in my thread that "If .015 is the proper gap, then the clearance is good." Thank for post I appreciate it! I am still looking into this, but I do think you are correct.

Back