Random Bogging, turn off to fix.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKurgun

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hi all, Bought a 2002 Challenger 2000 with a 240HP M2 EFI engine.

Just had both fuel pumps replaced, the vapor separator tank serviced, new fuel filters installed and new fuel and oil, New spark plugs and wires at the beginning of the season. Before this work the engine was not running.

The problem is randomly at idle I will try to accelerate either slowly or rapidly and the engine will completely bog down. The condition can be ended by turning the engine off and waiting a few seconds turn it back on and immediately accelerate above idle. It may take 1 try or 3 but it will clear. Not sure where to start looking to solve this problem. I have been running this boat all this season and when this issue doesn’t pop up, it runs great. Anyone have any Ideas??

Thank You

Mike

Check the wires from the trigger.

The trigger is under the flywheel, but the connector is aft of flywheel, on top of engine.

Start with a close inspection of the insulation on the wires from the trigger. The original units had terrible insulation that would crumble over the years. Leading to all kinds of problems. There is also a check with an ohm-meter. See the manual.

Near that connector is a black wire with yellow stripe. Try disconnecting that.

Have you checked the compression? Check at WOT, all spark plugs out.

Thanks Tim.
Compression is good with in 2-3# of each other, I will check the trigger and let you all Know.

Sorry this took so long Tim. I found the trigger wires, but the manual is talking about yellow sheathed wires and unsheathed wires. and the trigger I have only has the 6 wires and none of them is sheathed. I'm guessing this is a new trigger.
20190915_111353.jpg

Could not find a sheath, but I did find that the trigger assembly is rattling around. So next project is to pull the flywheel and tighten that down.

but should it freely move when you lightly wiggle the wires. not tug the wires but wiggle them up and down.

Sheath or not, have you checked the resistance of the trigger wire pairs?

Feel under the flywheel. You should feel the stator ring. Can you feel if it's loose; moving up & down? The stator ring is what holds the trigger down. It must be free to turn. When you get the flywheel off, the screws holding the stator will easily strip out the block if they are over-tightened. Use the proper puller.

I'll let you know in the spring, Just got shrink wrapped last night.
Thanks Tim and Poppie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back