Rain water in engine compartment

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul-at-theTub

Good day, I've read a bit about this and have a different observation I haven't seen discussed.

1997 Sportster taken out of water due to a number of other issues. Plugs out and I took a shop vac and sucked remaining water out yesterday. Put drain plugs back in.

Overnight it rained and took drain plugs out and gallons of water came out. How can this much get into the hull and engine compartment? Interior of boat had no pooled water as self draining hole under seat drained it out (i assume).

Concerned with this much water just from rain sitting out of the water.

Does any one actually like their sea doo boat? 24 hours and nothing but problems.

It all comes down to maintenance or lack thereof. I never store my skis or boat with the plugs in because I never want a rain flooded watercraft.

Ha, "does anyone like their Seadoo boat?"

Well, my Sportster LE is my beater boat. It's a cheap boat that has run well and is remarkably reliable since fixing all the little things (by that I mean plenty of small stuff like many boats).

These have to be the lowest price power heads on the water and supposedly the 951 in mine will toss it's cookies at about 250 hours they say, but that' not good enough for me, I intend on getting much more from it than that. We'll see.

When the engine does come apart, I'm sending the MPEM for an hour count and spare DESS key programmed while awaiting a reman replacement 951. That's assuming the hull is still worth doing this.

Regardless, my Sportster owes me nothing at this point, IMO.

If you're getting rain water in your bilge, make sure it's not from a faulty scupper system. Otherwise, the ski locker door is gonna leak, I don't see how it couldn't.

I've seen plenty of boats sink and ruin the engine while sitting on their trailer and I've seen a few trailer frames bent from the resulting excess weight. Thus, bottom line, always remove the drain plugs.

Good day,

Thanks for your reply - I didn't get into my short(!) history with the boat which might help explain the smart ass comment. I just got it last week - I'm running $1700 per hour so far for running it!!

Bought used, tested on small lake. Brought to Great Lake and day one reverse gate stuck and everything just goes forward. Day 2 exhaust manifold blew - all bolts came out, water flooded engine compartment and bilge pump stopped working.

First 3 hours were fun.

It was in my driveway after that waiting to tow it south. I did run water from a hose directly into floor drain and it all came out of hole in stern and no leaks in engine compartment so that is good. I can't believe the amount of water that could only then get in there through the ski locker and cup holders. It's easy enough to leave the drains out. I had to trailer it (for repair) for 3 hours and was concerned the drain plugs would fall out on the way home because it looks like it is just a 1" piece of plastic holding it in there.

I am 100% in for reliability and hope to make sure that is the case/

Does any one actually like their sea doo boat? 24 hours and nothing but problems.

Wow.... that's almost a banning offence there. (JK)

Anyway........ let's go down the list.

1) You wouldn't expect a 21 year old car to be perfect would you? Then why would you expect a 21 year old boat to be? Not to mention... they are abused, and neglected most of the time. If you want no issues... spend the $30k on a new one, and get a full warranty.

2) DO NOT LEAVE THE PLUGS IN IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The rain water that gets past the seats, ski locker, hood, and deck lid will go right into the bilge. Too much water, and you will have dead engines, rotted wires, and general badness. This is also why Seadoo's are not meant to be left in the water. (The driveshaft seals leak by design) Anyway, leave the plugs out, and all that water will drain out, and not cause an issue. Oh... leave it tipped nose high too.

3) Enjoy it for what it is... a big jetski. And, treat it as such. Pull it out of the water, clean it, and cover it at the end of the day. If you insist on leaving it in the water... get 2 batteries, and 2 auto bilge pumps, or else you may find it sunk. (not trying to be harsh, just being truthful)

Hasn't everyone heard this a million times?
download.jpg

I am still surprised every time someone has an issue with a watercraft with no maintenance or just dumb luck and think all watercraft are unreliable junk. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance people.

Good day,

Lots of assumptions here or maybe I am not being clear. I live on a great lake and take reliability of a boat as the most important thing you can have. 10km from shore is not where you need a problem. Too many inland lake people just don't get it because they can swim or float to shore.

I would purchase a 50 year old airplane with no issue because engines are routinely rebuilt as part of ongoing certification. I have no issue with older machines if they are cared for. I purchased the current boat from a mechanic who detailed all the various things that were done to it just prior to be buying it. It was the main reason I purchased this particular one!

What does astound me is that you can't leave a BOAT in the water. The doesn't mean it will not be cared for or cleaned regularly. The boat ramp here in Tobermory is just ridiculous, none of us want to launch it for the day and take it out every day. I've seen other Sea Doo jet boats in at the marina and would never have thought it would need such water protection. Thanks for the idea about 2 pumps and batteries, I will definitely have look into that considering I just suffered the loss of one pump when in dire need of it.

Does anyone know if the two drain plugs can be left dangling when towing long distances or will they eventually fall out (or can I just pull them out completely and leave them with the key so i don't forget to put it back in).

Regards,
Paul

I have towed my Challenger almost 400 miles each way from Connecticut to Maine and back for years with the plugs unscrewed and hanging. Knock on wood, no issues with them falling out. If you are overly concerned, buy a spare and keep it in the storage bin.

While at the lake, I keep my boat in the water for 2 weeks at a time. I just routinely check the bilge and run the pump once a day if needed. It helps that the dock is only 50ft from the house.

Don’t take our comments the wrong way as they are just general.

First the drain plugs should be out any time the boat isn’t in the water and as long as the crossbar isn’t broken they won’t ever fall out.

Your boat will be fine in the water just like any other boat as long as your driveshaft seal/carbon seal is good. It shouldn’t let anything in when sitting up to a small slow drip.

Just like any boat rain water will fill the hull. The only issue is some Seadoo’s don’t have an automatic bilge pump. So if rain is an issue install an automatic bilge pump, dual batteries will give you more pumping time and also a good moring cover to keep the majority of the rain out.

For me I’m a worrier and couldn’t leave my Mastercraft in the water for an extended amount of time without going crazy.

Thanks for the tips - definitely will leave plugs out and for the 2 times a year I expect to have to transport it long distances can just plug them in during that travel time. I think I would only leave it in for 2-3 weeks at a time and pull it out when I am not here.

It didn't come with a cover so I have been looking around for a good cover I can use for mooring and storage.

Good day,

Lots of assumptions here ............................

Sometimes we have to... but in this case, I think we nailed it.

I would purchase a 50 year old airplane with no issue .................

I would too. There has to be logs, and certifications along the way, with inspectors that (should) know what they are looking at since people's lives are on the line. The Mechanic is certified, and he gets paid regardless if he passes you or not. AND, he is fully liable if he rebuilds your engine, and it fails. (There's an investigation, and he can go to prison) But on that note... I did build a KR2 in the early 90's, and didn't understand that point, and had it 90% framed up. But I took it to the local EAA, and the next morning I had a set of logs. (LOL)

But, on a boat... if you have an engine fail 10 minutes after a retard mechaniK hands it back to you... he may not even return your call.

What does astound me is that you can't leave a BOAT in the water. The doesn't mean it will not be cared for or cleaned regularly.

Why? You bought a big jetski. Did you look over the manual before you bought it? Going back to your opening line.... You made the assumption.

The boat ramp here in Tobermory is just ridiculous, none of us want to launch it for the day and take it out every day. I've seen other Sea Doo jet boats in at the marina and would never have thought it would need such water protection. .................

OK... I get to use a line from my Mom....... "Just because everyone else is jumping of a bridge, doesn't mean it's a good idea." LOL. Same as with the "I've SEEN other Seadoo boats in at the marina". There are a few Seadoo's that can be left in the water. All the Mercury powered Seadoo's are rated to be left in. But every one of the Rotax powered boats are not. Also... not wanting to take it in and out is just a personal preference. I have a bunch of marinas around me, and I often think it would be nice to just go to the boat (in a slip) and jump in, and use it on a moments notice, and not have to deal with the idiots at the ramp. But I like to be able to go to a bunch of different places, and it would be more work to go get my boat, over having it in my driveway.

Anyway... I'm not making this up... if you simply read the owner's manual... you will see that Seadoo says it's not rated to be left in the water. Some people get away with it... but most don't. Over the years, I've seen a bunch of posts here saying... "Went to the dock, and my boat was underwater". Like I already said... deck drainage heads to the bilge, and the carbon seal on the driveshaft leaks by design. (keeps it cool)

Does anyone know if the two drain plugs can be left dangling when towing long distances or will they eventually fall out (or can I just pull them out completely and leave them with the key so i don't forget to put it back in).

Regards,
Paul

As long as the plastic is in good shape... it's fine. Mine dangle all the time. I'm sure if I walk out to my boat now... I will see some puddles under the plugs. Even covered, water seems to get into the bilge.

I really wish I could tell you something different... but the fact is... some boats are meant to be left in, and some aren't. And as far as reliability... it's all dependent on the owner, and what YOU have done and verified. DO NOT EVER take a mechanic's word that something was done properly. Especially when they are trying to sell something.

Last edited:
Hasn't everyone heard this a million times?
View attachment 37676

I really hate that old saying. I've owned a PWC and/or boat since the late 70's, and have NEVER regretted it. It just applies to the people who buy old crap, and expect it to be perfect... AND... let other people work on it. (expensive, and piss poor work)

I really hate that old saying. I've owned a PWC and/or boat since the late 70's, and have NEVER regretted it. It just applies to the people who buy old crap, and expect it to be perfect... AND... let other people work on it. (expensive, and piss poor work)

That’s exactly what I was saying, I love everyone of mine and maintain them to a Tee and don’t have any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back