Questions On Buying a 1998 Challenger 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrummerJ

Good day. I am thinking of buying a challenger as the title says. It has some flaws and I was hoping I could get some answers to see what it may cost to repair.

1. Back seat bottom center cushions are toasted. It looks like the foam is still in good shape.
2. Right side mirror has been busted off.
3. There are two small chips in the gelcoat in the back above the water line. About half the size of a dime.
4. Passenger captains chair does not lock in place.
5. The back seat bolts have mostly come out. Only one holding it on.
6. The throttles are a little loose and move about half inch from the bottom before they engage.
7. Stereo turns on but nothing from all speakers.

That is it for the issues I noticed. I went over the boat from front to back, top and bottom. The boat started right up, both engines without issue. Engine compartment looked clean-ish. The wear rings were replaced last year. Did not see a mark on them. Decals are a little faded but the rest of the body besides the chips looks good. Could use a polish.
I am going out for a water test this weekend. Since I currently do not have a boat what would I look/listen/feel for while out on the water that might indicate any major issues?
That is about it for now. If it works out I will be a new ( to me ) Sea-doo boat owner.

Thanks.

Last edited:
1) at the top of this forum is a sticky thread about doing upholstery. read through it. not a job for the faint of heart but the upholstery kit is probably around 5-600.00 for your boat. if the foam is good, you are indeed fortunate.

2)ebay(used)

3) small potatoes right now. worry about that later.

4) you can take it apart and figure out why. perhaps you can also find parts on ebay if something is actually broken

5)buy stainless metric bolts at your local ace hardware store. its a barrel of monkeys reaching underneath to remove and install these. might be a good idea to get liquored up first.

6) buy a service manual on ebay. it will teach you how to adjust the cables properly as well as how to tighten up the throttle quadrant if that is indeed the problem

7) seriously? lol. you have a ton of other maintenance items to work on long before this one.

off the top of my head, i can think of perhaps another half dozen items that you will need to do long before you work on the radio.

good luck with your potential purchase. you really should spend about 5 or 6 hours reading through the threads in this section so you can have a good idea what direction you will be going if you decide to buy.

Last edited:
1) at the top of this forum is a sticky thread about doing upholstery. read through it. not a job for the faint of heart but the upholstery kit is probably around 5-600.00 for your boat. if the foam is good, you are indeed fortunate.

2)ebay(used)

3) small potatoes right now. worry about that later.

4) you can take it apart and figure out why. perhaps you can also find parts on ebay if something is actually broken

5)buy stainless metric bolts at your local ace hardware store. its a barrel of monkeys reaching underneath to remove and install these. might be a good idea to get liquored up first.

6) buy a service manual on ebay. it will teach you how to adjust the cables properly as well as how to tighten up the throttle quadrant if that is indeed the problem

7) seriously? lol. you have a ton of other maintenance items to work on long before this one.

off the top of my head, i can think of perhaps another half dozen items that you will need to do long before you work on the radio.

good luck with your potential purchase. you really should spend about 5 or 6 hours reading through the threads in this section so you can have a good idea what direction you will be going if you decide to buy.

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I know the stereo is not a big one but thought I would be thorough in my assessment.
1. Thanks I will take a look.
5. I have read the issues with getting to the bolts on the seat. Not looking forward to it but does not seem to be something that is ridiculously hard to do. ( I have already bought the bottle of Crown Royal )
6. So you do not think it being slightly loose is an issue then and can be adjusted. Good to know.

As you can maybe tell I am a complete noob when it comes to boats.

I just got back from the water test. Boat performed great. Tach was showing about 3500 at 25mph. Got it up to 50mph with 1.5 foot swells on the lake. The only issue I did not notice before is some silicone down where the inside edge of the drivers and passenger consoles meet the floor. It does not look like it is from the manufacturer. Can anyone tell me what should be there. I assume the white covering should come right down to the ground and not end in silicone.

Attachments

• pic1 - Copy.jpg
    pic1 - Copy.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 11
  • pic2 - Copy.jpg
    pic2 - Copy.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back