Pull a tube

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger305

Somewhat new to skiis and have a question. We bought a '96 GTX a couple years ago after it had sat indoors for a long time. I rebuilt the carbs, cleaned out the old fuel, and changed the fuel lines. It seems to idle and run well. I've always felt like it struggled a little out of the hole and doesn't seem to take off until 3500+ RPM then pulls hard. Top speed by speedo is 52ish. Last weekend, I tried to pull 2 kids at 75lbs each on a 2 person tube with the GTX and couldn't do it. I backed down to 1 kid and could eventually get the tube going, but had to keep the speed way to fast.

Is this pretty normal for this ski? I haven't cleaned the Rave valves or checked the wear ring yet, with the latter and a pump oil change being on my to-do list in the next few days.

I have the same ski. I have pulled the same amount of weight with no issues before so sounds like you have an issue just not sure what it might be. I would definitely clean the raves as part of your regular maintenance schedule and pump oil change as well. If wear ring looks good may want to check compression after that. Sure someone with more knowledge than myself will be along soon to give some more advice

If it just won't go or build rpm I would check the compression and make sure the 3 small transition holes in the carb are clean and clear.

If it rev's up but doesn't go like a clutch slipping it is the wear ring and/or impeller.

I think I did compression on it when we bought it, but will check again. Can you tell me where the 3 holes you mentioned are? it's been over a year since I rebuilt the carbs and I'm drawing a blank.

It acts like it just doesn't have the power to pull any harder until it tips over on plane, then it just takes off. I need to run it again and make sure what I'm remembering is accurate.

Last edited:
Those pictures are worth a bunch of words. Thanks.

Forgive what may be a stupid question, but is it possible for me to reasonably check/clean those out with the carbs still on the ski?

You could possibly do it with the PTO carb still on but you wouldn't be able to with the MAG carb. It is best to just remove them so you can lay out the parts on a work bench.

I understand that, I just had my carbs off on both skis to go through them so the task of removing/cleaning/installing is fresh in my mind lol. I just honestly think that it is less of a headache to just remove them the first time then trying to figure out how to do it inside the ski.

There is such an abundance of room to work in, lol. I probably need to look at cleaning the Rave valves as well as inspect the wear ring.

Well, I went out and crawled around under the ski and I think I need to address the wear ring that is missing huge chunks before I pull the carbs... I'll post a new thread about pulling the pump.

After replacing the wear ring and getting things back together, I haven't tried pulling a tube yet, but it now jumps on plane and goes *MUCH* better. I'mm rebuild the RAVE valves over the winter and will keep some seafoam in the next couple tanks. Thanks for the help.

After replacing the wear ring and getting things back together, I haven't tried pulling a tube yet, but it now jumps on plane and goes *MUCH* better. I'mm rebuild the RAVE valves over the winter and will keep some seafoam in the next couple tanks. Thanks for the help.

I wouldn't run seafoam through it, I've heard various opinions of why not, it's corrosive to the parts in the carbs, it dilutes the oil mix content, etc. Some other experienced people need to comment on this...I'm sure they have first hand knowledge of the aftermath it can cause.

Interesting, I've never seen that take before as it is used heavily in the 2 stroke outboard world.

Likely mixed reviews and opinions. Post a separate thread on this and see the responses you get, I've only been at it for about a year with the jet skis I have and I'd be curious if it's recommended or not.

It’s not recommended despite what the bottle says. It’s a solvent and is very hard on the rubber carb parts as well as stripping the oil film from internal engine parts. There is also nothing on these skis that a “fix in a bottle “ will cure.

Just maintain your carbs and fuel system and run marine sta-bil to keep the gas fresh. Spend your hard earned money on something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back