Project ski, no ECU, where to start?!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlspeed

I got a project from a friend of mine for the summer. He had two similar boats, and the ecu was taken out of the one I have and put in a different one. A few years later, the boat is still on his dock, and he asked if I'd be interested in getting it running again. I have a son who is interested in PWCs, so I figured another project wouldn't kill me. I haven't even taken the seat off yet, and I'm trying to determine the best method to start this. I'm thinking putting some 2 stroke oil in the cylinders and letting it sit a couple days and see if it will turn over without the plugs in it. Since there is no ECU, I guess I'll have to just direct connect the starter to a battery? If it turns over, then the next step would be getting all the fuel out of the tank, cleaning the carb, and ordering an ECU? Should I look at a used one already with a matching key, or try to get a new one? I'm not really sure how the key thing works so I don't know the best way to go about it. I'm even seeing aftermarket ECU's. Anyway, the boat is a 2000 GS. Thanks in advance!

'Carl

The first step is going to be to see if you can turn it by hand. Pop the PTO cover off, pull the plugs, and see if it moves freely.

Is it just the MPEM that’s gone, or is it the whole grey box in the front of the ski?

Pto cover is over the impeller? Skip the 2 stroke oil?When I turn it by hand, use the shaft to impeller? Thanks!!! Here is a picture of the front.

Attachments

• 20190604_115620.jpg
    20190604_115620.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20190604_115503.jpg
    20190604_115503.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 20190604_115508.jpg
    20190604_115508.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19
The PTO cover is the plastic cover on the rear of the engine that goes over where the driveshaft comes into the engine. You can add a teaspoon of oil to the cylinders, but you should be able to turn it over easily by hand even without it. You can grab the PTO itself and turn it without much effort at all if the motor is healthy and the plugs are out.

It looks like you need the whole grey E-Box. I would check either eBay or give Westside Powersports a call. I wouldn’t bother with an aftermarket MPEM, because you need everything else that goes in that box as well.

I would also replace the oil filter, small 3/32" oil injection lines and get rid of that inline fuel filter. Castrol Superclean will clean up that engine compartment also.

The Superclean does a fantastic job! It’ll make it a whole lot easier to work on with everything clean in there...

Okay, thanks guys. Can anyone with the same configuration take a photo of the front so I can see what I'm missing?

Today I took off that gray cover around the flywheel/axle, and pulled the plugs. I looked in the holes and it didn't look too bad (bit dark though). I took a bit of 2 stroke oil and put it in the cylinders, then turned it over by hand. Pretty easy. I turned it over maybe 10-15 times to lubricate the sleeves, and put the plugs back in so no moisture would get in there. I cleaned out the hull and pressure washed everything. It came out pretty decent, but it could use a compound on the outer hull to get rid of some of the marks from moss or whatever it was. The engine bay came out like new honestly. Motor definitely doesn't look bad. Was supposed to have never seen salt water, I guess it's possible. Next is to get the ECU system and a key I guess. I'll clean out the fuel tank, put some fresh fuel in, slosh around, clean out again, then fill a couple gallons. Fresh lines, clean carb. Put a new battery in it and I'm feeling pretty optimistic at that point. Who is this person I need to call for the ECU? Ignore the seat! It's come a long way! Thanks again!

20190604_115459.jpg20190605_094831.jpg20190605_095616.jpg20190605_123839.jpg20190605_124118.jpg20190603_174922edit.jpg20190605_124155edit.jpg

Before oiling the cylinder walls I like turning them over slowly by hand to see how it sounds and feels. Then I squirt some oil in the cylinders and intake before spinning them with the starter. Compression check before attempting to fire it up. That's me.

Once you're ready, just jump the top two starter solenoid terminals together using a pair of pliers to spin it over on the starter.

I called Nick and he has one in stock. Ordered the carb kit from him also. Said I might even have the stuff in the next day or so, which means we can do the install this Saturday, and take it out this weekend! Very excited!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back