Pressure Side Oil Leak

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

fzandome

I have what I think is a pressure side oil leak on my 95 speedster.

I only notice it after the boat runs a while and there is no static leak as the tank does not go down after a 6 week period between runs. In my way of thinking a static leak would be on the supply side and the oil tank would go down.

Would/could the injection pump have a pressure leak when running or maybe the return lines?

Pulling the air intakes in the next couple of days and was wondering what to focus on.

Thanks

Frank.

The hull fills up with oil... enough that it leaves an oil slick if/when i used the bilge pump. I also had/have a water leak under power, but that was coming from one of the carrier bearing seal (repairing that when I do my pumps) and from a broken bolt on the exaust system.
So between the water in the hull and the oil, I was concerned each time I dumped the bilge. Needs to be fixed and now is the time to do it as I have it pulled apart.

Frank

It sounds like it might be leaking from the injector lines grommet or a injector hose somewhere... It's hard to help without being able to see the lines first hand. Give everything a good look over.

Karl

How Much OIl ?

Ive had two 95 Speedsters and both of them leak an annoying amount of oil into the bilge. I have never been able to find the source. The oil level in the tank does not go down appreciably. Therefore I decided to leave it alone.
After a 5 hour run, when I run the bilge pump, it runs for 10 seconds spewing oil and water before its empty. Even then I find oil slick in the grooves etc.
Annoying.

yes I know what you mean.... I took out the air cleaner and put my 235 pound body on my head and looked around behind the carbs. I found no evidence of anything leaking.... That said, I could not look under the exhaust system without removing the components. The only other thing to do is to fire it up and look when it's under power. I just winterized it so that will wait till spring. Will do it before I put on the pumps so I can run it longer that a couple of minutes.... As long as there is water going into the engines, and the shafts are out, I should be able to run it for a while... and not have time concern.... right. I'm going to clean out the bilge and put some brown paper under the different components, run it and see if anything comes up oily. The amount of oil I'm getting, there should be some indication on that paper.....

Thanks for the response

Unclejay

Did you ever find where the water was coming from. Mine also fills up with water under power... one of the seal carrier was leaking and I have a missing bolt on one of the tuned pipes. I don't think these two were enough to account for the amount of water in the bilge... (Although the seal carrier might leak more as I did not have it at WOT when I had the hatch open and looking for leaks) Any suggestions or what else can leak? I want to fix it all now as I have this boat this far apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Water

I have never been concerned about the amount of water in the bilge after a long day on the water. As I said, the bilge pump takes 10 seconds or so to pump it all out, and both Speedsters behaved this way since new. Now, if there was enough water to reach the crankcases or starters id be concerned, but most of it stays under the fuel tank. I figure its just drainage from the deck and possibly a little back flow from the scupper valve (which can be upgraded).

Although the deck drain goes out the back of the boat, the hull itself drains into the engine compartment. Any water entering the ski locker goes there, as well as seepage from the drive shafts, exhausts etc. Not a biggie.

I plugged the line between the ski locker and the engine bay to stop oily water from back flowing into the ski locker. An Ace hardware marine plug did the trick, measure carefully before buying.

Unclejay

Ordered the scupper today and will install... The comment about the marine plug into the ski locker has me puzzled. Not looking at the boat right now but from memory there is a rather large sump hole there.

I normally keep a old, flat life preserver over the top of it to help with the oily water. Is there something else to plug.... (I did not look at it to see if there is a hole in the hull between that sump and the engine compartment sump. Might have answered my own question)

So if you plug that, what happens to the water that come in the ski locker? Do you have to remove the plug and drain it, if necessary?

I plugged the line between the ski locker and the engine bay to stop oily water from back flowing into the ski locker. An Ace hardware marine plug did the trick, measure carefully before buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back