Possible Intercooler failure 2009 RXTX 255???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam Winning

I Recently took my RXTX 255 out for a run and noticed it wasn't running to it's full potential, mind you i had recently serviced it (basic oil and filter change) but the service was 2 rides ago and it was running perfectly the ride before this, but this time it was struggling to reach it's usual top speed of about 115km/h, infact I was struggling to get to 90km/h. despite this I didn't think to much of it at the time, this was over about a 3hr period, but then when I was holding flat to build up speed, it suddenly started to pulse flutter and suddenly loss power, while the oil light was flashing, so I quickly backed off the power down to a Idel and the oil light went away, I took it back in to land, and noticed it was idling weird, as if it was slightly misfiring and running rough, my hand was steady on the throttle but it was as if I was moving it back and forth.
at the time I had no idea what it could have been, all I knew is that it must of had some sort of oil pressure problem, so I did some research and at first I saw that a oil pressure switch/sensor commonly failed, so I thought it might be something as simple as that, so I looked into it further and spoke to a seadoo mechanic and told him everything, and he told me that from what I was describing, it sounded like a intercooler failing and leaking water into the motor, he told me the ways you can tell that that's whats happening is by
1st checking the spark plugs as they will have corrosion on them.
2nd by checking the oil filter and seeing if the filter material has expanded from soaking up excess water, which would then cause blocking of oil circulation.
So I went home and had a look at the oil filter and noticed when I took it out, it had a big dint on one side of the oil filter, I am not sure if a dinted oil filter is the cause of just the oil pressure issue or if it is a faulty intercooler, if that would cause the filter to dint like that, or if the dinted oil filter has and contribution to the issue?

i don't clam to know much about Jetskis, so if anyone has had a similar experience or has an idea of what the issue could be, please let me know, as I am trying to find out as much as possible as to what the problem could be, and work put what repairs need to be done, Kind Regards Liam.

On the 2nd point by your seadoo mechanic, I think he meant collapsed oil filter and not expanded oil filter. Water won't pass through the filter easily so it collapses under the oil pressure. You either have a coolant leak or an ic leak that lets a little bit of water in the oil system. It doesn't take much and usually can't be seen in the oil to make it milky. Pull your intake manifold and check for water in the bottom. This will tell you if you have an ic leak. Check your coolant tank to see if you lost any coolant. Sometimes leaky head gaskets will only leak at high rpm. Check the bottom of your hull for coolant. You could put a water bottle on the overflow tube which will sometime catch some coolant when the system is over pressurized from a leaky head gasket at high rpm.

Few simple checks first I suggest;

How is your oil; does it look still like oil or more mayonnaise (water in the oil)?
Is your oil level ok and what oil do you have inside?
What codes did you get and did you have a long beep when it happened?(low oil pressure)
The intercooler is easy to check. Pull the air hose of, if there is water it leaks. Or pressure test the intercooler to determine to determine it is leaking.

Do you have a manometer to measure the oil pressure?
Might think of a sticky oil pressure regulator based on the dent in the oil filter but too premature to conclude based on the info provided.

To check the intercooler, disconnect the air hose that goes from the intercooler to the throttle body. Start the engine and turn on the water hose. Rev the engine up a few times and watch for water coming from the intercooler. If you see water, the intercooler is leaking.

Chester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back