Poor guy (brand new Sea-Doo tale)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjilafouine

My neighbor got today a brand new Wake 155 with ski pylon and a tube to pull the kids. After putting the ski in the water, wife decided to pull the tube. You know where I am going... No experience whatsoever, she sucked the rope after five minutes and when I mean sucked, the whole shaft inside the grate was jammed tight. As soon as I saw her stranded in front of her beach I told my mom: she sucked the rope...

So I went to offer my help. Her husband (very angry at her of course) was trying to get the rope free without any luck. So he cut the rope. No luck there too. The rope was too tight. I told him to remove the small portion of the grate and believe it or not, one of the screws was stripped (on a brand new ski!): it was turning without getting out (question: do these screws need loctite after removal?). So he put back the screws in place and using an x-acto, cutters and long nose pliers, he managed to get the rope out one hour later. I believe the shaft was a bit scratched in the process. Will it rust?

Then we went on the lake to test it. Speed before rope: 55 mph, speed after rope: 52 mph. No cavitation. Am I right by saying that the wear ring was probably slightly damaged?

Also, can this affect the carbon seal/ring? I told him to examine it for sings of slack. I also told him not to leave the ski in the water tonight and to inspect frequently the inside hull for presence of water because if the carbon seal fails, the ski would sink. He told me he had insurance and he beached the thing, not counting that the ski stayed on the shore on its side for one hour with no carpet under to prevent scratches.

I'd say he's off to a bad start.

Any recommendations for him?

I didn't think of that one... But otherwise? Honestly, I wouldn't buy that ski and I doubt that the break in period will be observed. That's one thing I don't understand: some models have a computer controlled break in period while others are wide open. I think this is pretty dumb of BRP because most people will floor them (WOT) as soon as they get them...

I didn't think of that one... But otherwise? Honestly, I wouldn't buy that ski and I doubt that the break in period will be observed. That's one thing I don't understand: some models have a computer controlled break in period while others are wide open. I think this is pretty dumb of BRP because most people will floor them (WOT) as soon as they get them...
It's a naturally aspirated four stroke designed for big hours. You can floor it from day one.

I don't see the issue. Just a piece a rope and a few beginners mistakes, nothing to worry about. Next time she will be very aware.
Always good to have basic tools with you.

What do you think about the stripped screw? He had the good tool. So no consequence to the shaft? No loctite on these screws?

What do you think about the stripped screw? He had the good tool. So no consequence to the shaft? No loctite on these screws?
A stupid stripped screw is still a stupid screw, not a critical part. Fit a new one and good to go.
I would say no or the shaft has been bend, unlikely.

Reactions: JKU
We didn’t check the wear ring but if there is no cavitation I believe the wear ring must have a ding in it. Neighbor says wife may have also hit the throttle in shallow water before sucking the rope.

She may not want to touch it for a while... no emergency from that point on, thanks!

Could have bent the propeller blades. Slightly less angle provides less pressure as well as space between blade and wear ring.

Could have damaged the wear ring.

Coud have damaged the shaft bearings.

Only way to tell is to remove the pump housing and take a look. We can speculate all day long. Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Most likely not the blades because the rope didn't make it up to there (I saw it). It was sucked from the intake grate. Shaft bearings: a bit too my fear. Wear ring: most likely.

Not my ski... phew... but the husband is frustrated. He know he will have to have it fixed (especially that it is just out of the dealer with warranty that may be void for such damage).

Thanks. I will report when has gets it fixed (could take a while).

Well...if the wear ring was affected then the propeller could have also been affected. Since they ride on each other. Still speculating.

Well, I just saw that brand new Sea-Doo being towed this afternoon so unless wife did something else to it (like sucking rocks or something else), the ski developed a major malfunction.

The moral of the story is: check your ski when something happens, like losing 3 MPH after sucking rope.

This is also the reason why I never let anyone else ride my ski unless they are with me.

I'd divorce him if I were her. If he can't even look after a brand new seadoo he's probably not taking care of much else either.

I'd divorce him if I were her

This is starting to sound just as a soap opera... Actually they almost did last spring... For three weeks... They went back together, don't know why (well I have a pretty good idea but I won't say)... :)

Fact of a matter is that a brand new Sea-Doo is already out of commission after less that 10-20 hours. This shows just how these machines, just like any other machine, have to be treated well. The more you goof, the faster they break (and this includes automobiles).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back