PLEASE HELP! Jet ski doesn’t want to start in water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seadoo4898

I have a 2002 sea doo gtx rfi and it doesn’t want to start when the impellar is in the water. It will start on the hose and run fantastic, but is a pain when I back it in at a landing. It died in the middle of the lake yesterday and my buddy and I lifted the back end out of the water so the intake grate was in the air and it popped off instantly. We ended up doing it 3 other times as well. I’m thinking something within my intake under the jet ski is funky. Anything I can try at home before I bring it to a shop? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Could be weak battery, weak starter or low compression or something wrapped around shaft. I would recommend eliminating those with test and inspection.

Check compression before anything else at this point. Running on the hose will tell you nothing.

See what the battery voltage is when cranking and at rest.
Compression is good.
There is a resistance somewhere in the machine. As soon as the prop hits the water it dies. I’ve read that it could be the wrong O ring on the rotary valve plate. But I’ll hook it up to the hose with the battery charger on and see what the volts are.

Running out of the water will not tell you anything. With a load is the real test. Check compression and if that’s fine rotary valve clearance for mechanical issues. On the Injected skis you really need a CanDoo Pro scanner to check anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back