RESTO Picking up a 96 XP, Needs some TLC

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pulled the old starter out, I think I may just get a good used one from Westside. Front is all rusted together. I did put in the crap aftermarket one to do a compression check, and try to start it. By the time I was done messing with cranking it the starter gave up, would no longer turn the motor over with the plugs in. Got about 142 in both cylinders, verified good spark at the plugs too. Tried to get it to start with some premix in a bottle but it just kept fouling out the plugs. So at this point I think I may just order everything to get the oil and fuel system up and running properly from OSD. Is there a way to post a video on here, took 2 short ones of compression check, both small mp4 files?

Attachments

• 20200308_134947_resized.jpg
    20200308_134947_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
I took the starter apart and the magnets were busted so ordered a used one from Jess at Westside, very easy to work with and very fast, already shipped out yesterday. Hope weather permits to pull carbs this weekend to inspect, teardown, and get parts ordered.

Can I remove the gas tank through the front of the ski or does the engine need removed? There is still some old gas in it and I am going to try to get it out but if I can just remove I will.

Can I remove the gas tank through the front of the ski or does the engine need removed?

On your ski, it can come out through the front.
Many years ago there was a recall on the tanks. Call your dealer with the HIN and they can tell you if yours got replaced. If not, free new tank for you!

Thanks for the info Major I will see if I can track a dealer down near me.

I pulled the carbs off today to tear them down for the rebuild. Inspected rotary valve and it is free from any scratches on the side I can see. I was going to put the new used starter in but looked inside the hole near the flywheel and it has a fair amount of rusty crusty crap in it. Should I pull the cover off to inspect inside or just wait until I see if I can get it fired up?

Any tips or tricks to clean the handle bar cover up?

Attachments

• 20200312_154958_resized.jpg
    20200312_154958_resized.jpg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200312_155005_resized.jpg
    20200312_155005_resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
You should pull the MAG cover and clean it up as that rust and debris can stop it from sparking.

There is no DIY fix for the bar cover but someone here had a "Guy" that can make them look new but I can't recall who, maybe @racerxxx ?

Racer, send me his email please.

The front motor mount is on the cover, what is the best way to support the motor to remove the cover.

I took off the pump today and the impeller and it has a fair amount of damage, should I just clean it up, bend it back and reuse it or just replace it with a good used one?

Also there are 2 thin shims under the right side of the pump housing against the hull on the upper and lower studs is this normal?

Attachments

• 20200315_191141_resized.jpg
    20200315_191141_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20200315_191116_resized.jpg
    20200315_191116_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 20200315_191200_resized.jpg
    20200315_191200_resized.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20200315_153423_resized.jpg
    20200315_153423_resized.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 33
Send the impeller to Impros for refurbishment, don’t try to do it yourself as you can damage it more.

Yes the shins are normal and put them back exactly as they came off.

Thanks for info Miki, there prices aren't too bad. I am going to send it out once I get the motor running.

While I am waiting on my parts to arrive I have the carbs cleaned out and ready for reassembly. Next question, I bought 2 different sizes of the fuel line zip ties, I am sure they will work fine on the oil lines but has anyone ever used the larger ones on the 1/4 black fuel hose? Racerxxx message me the info on the guy that restores the handle bar covers if you get a chance please.

Work was nice enough to let me not come in for the next 2 weeks, no pay, so its giving me some time to do some work. Got the fuel tank out and was going to drain the oil tank but it is full of seadoo red oil so I will just replace the filter and roll with it. Someone had the tank out at some point in time, it looks newer and the fuel gauge float was laying under it. All parts arrived today too except for my oil lines. I took a couple of pictures of inside the starter hole with a mirror, can I get some opinions of how bad this is and if I really need to pull the cover off for further inspection. Pulled the raves and they are a mess of carbon build up but the diaphragms look good. Peeked inside the rave holes and the pistons look nice with very few marks on them from the limited view, piston tops look nice too. Needed to make a small victory on the project so I put in the new starter and VTS buttons.

Attachments

• 20200321_163523_resized.jpg
    20200321_163523_resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20200321_170119_resized.jpg
    20200321_170119_resized.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200321_163534_resized.jpg
    20200321_163534_resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
I give up for the day, I ruined both fuel pump check valves and the little rubber nipples that go in them. I rebuilt other seadoo carbs and don't remember having that much trouble installing them. I tired silicone paste but it still didn't go. Any tips for installing them and can I buy them separately from the kit? Can anyone help me with the part numbers too?

Use the floss trick! I fucked up both of mine too. Ripped the nipples putting them together. Then they told me to use the floss method. Look at my thread

Let me check tomorrow I might have some.

Looks like water got inside the mag cover, I would pull the cover.

Thanks Mikidymac. Looks like I will pull the over out today. I am also going to take on the F1 fuse, can I use epoxy to close and seal the hole? Looked up the floss trick also and will try that when I get some new ones.

Thanks Mikidymac. Looks like I will pull the over out today. I am also going to take on the F1 fuse, can I use epoxy to close and seal the hole? Looked up the floss trick also and will try that when I get some new ones.
I have some grommets and check valves if you need .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back