Performance Issue 1998 GTX Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddanster

Wanted some expert opinions...Think I'm in the right place! :). 951 Motor, newly rebuilt and has probably 20 or so hours on it since installation. From the very beginning if you slowly increase speed between the 2000 to 3500 RPM range it will die off. If you hold that position between 2000 and 3500 the engine will completely die. If I let off the throttle though it will return to idle speed without dying. However From sitting still if I open the throttle 3/4 or full it will take off like a bat out of hell with no issues to full speed.

To state it has all new fuel lines and and carbs have been gone through and pass according to the listed specs in the manuals. Could it be the raves? I'm backing them off some and will test in a few days.

I would pull the carbs and clean them again check pop off again sounds like you are having problems on the low side

The raves won't cause it to stall just delay the power surge and/or limit rpm I have gotten to know my 98 GTXL very well and I would say you have to redo the carbs and double check the fuel lines for a leak, when fuel gets going it may overcome the leak. Also this I am not sure about but you may need a restriction orifice in the return line and thi could preven build p of pressure. Also check for long or kinked crankcase to fuel pump pressure line. Good luck and I love my ski, others say it's a couch but it moves out nice and takes on many other skis nd runs with the best of them. If water ingestion is not a problem, I think the 951 last long enough.
frank, 97 gtx, 98 gtxl, 96 sl780

100% pop off too high. However your accelerator pump should be kicking in at the same time... verify the accel pump is engaging and actually squirting fuel. When you rebuilt the carbs, did you use a new spring or the originals?

The RAVES don't engage until 5000-5500 rpm so i don't think that is your issue.

100% pop off too high. However your accelerator pump should be kicking in at the same time... verify the accel pump is engaging and actually squirting fuel. When you rebuilt the carbs, did you use a new spring or the originals?

The RAVES don't engage until 5000-5500 rpm so i don't think that is your issue.

I don't remember actually..but the pop off was between the 18-23 range if I recall..I'll probably take them off tommrow and check...thankyou

The raves won't cause it to stall just delay the power surge and/or limit rpm I have gotten to know my 98 GTXL very well and I would say you have to redo the carbs and double check the fuel lines for a leak, when fuel gets going it may overcome the leak. Also this I am not sure about but you may need a restriction orifice in the return line and thi could preven build p of pressure. Also check for long or kinked crankcase to fuel pump pressure line. Good luck and I love my ski, others say it's a couch but it moves out nice and takes on many other skis nd runs with the best of them. If water ingestion is not a problem, I think the 951 last long enough.
frank, 97 gtx, 98 gtxl, 96 sl780

Good info thanks..I'll will check all that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back