Painted my Challenger 180 hull

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wakefj

The hull graphics have been showing their age on my 2006 Challenger 180. Replacing them was going to be expensive and eventually the new graphics would get beat-up as well during docking. So I did some research and decided to paint the hull to make it look like the hulls on the newer Sea Doo and other boats.

Here's a before picture (I admit that I should have taken a better picture)
2012-06-07 15.33.24.jpg

I began by pealing the decals off and sanding the Gel-coat all around the boat with 230 grit
Naked Boat.jpg
I then masked off the entire area.
Prepped for painting.jpg
I went with Rustoleum brand Marine Fiberglass Primer and Marine Topside Paint. I tack-clothed the hull numerous times before each coat to make sure I was working with a clean surface. I applied the first coat of primer, waited a day, sanded with 230 again and gave it a second coat of primer.

I bought a $14 sprayer at Harbor Freight that had good reviews... I should add that I've never done this before, but with the help of "Youtube University", I learned a lot before I picked-up the sprayer!

Here's the primer going on....
Applying Primer.jpg

After the 2nd coat of primer, I was pretty happy with the surface conditions so I went on to spray 3 coats of the Navy Blue, giving it a couple days to harden up between each coat. Here's the result of the 1st coat...
vmIRfn-cH1ZQ-rTDZl3DTlGxtNA6ruFyT-aRbb8W9Mc.jpg
fqQNx6VMp_EZS5ACJT7MvsNI68WBU5AWgEMhoXbzXB0.jpg

Then the finished product...
20151021_111814.jpg

I figure that I can touch-up the paint a lot easier than replacing the graphics.

Paint and primer was ~$12/quart. I found the paint at Lowe's and the primer on Amazon. I was surprised to only use a quart of primer (with some left over) and a quart and a half of paint. There was minimal over spray from the sprayer. You get significantly more over spray from a spray can! Each coat took only minutes apply, but cleaning the sprayer took a good 45 minutes or so.

After three coats, I was pretty satisfied with the finish. They say to finish with polishing compound and wax, but honestly, I couldn't tell the difference where I compounded/waxed and where I didn't.

Thanks for checking this out!

Attachments

• 519vRw10YgL._SY300_.jpg
    519vRw10YgL._SY300_.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 397
Last edited by a moderator:
I really didn't know you could paint a boat, and i really didn't know it could come out as great as yours has.
I just bought a 97 Speedster and just decided im going to paint it. Thanks so much for the how-to.

I really didn't know you could paint a boat, and i really didn't know it could come out as great as yours has.
I just bought a 97 Speedster and just decided im going to paint it. Thanks so much for the how-to.

You might consider a vinyl wrap. I wrapped my 96 speedster myself. Cost me 125.00 for the vinyl background. Did it over a weekend. Used Avery supreme wrapping vinyl. I'll have to admit, it wasn't easy but it was faster than painting.
197.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow so the whole hull is a vinyl wrap?!! did you paint the rub rail as well? looks damn good man!

The hull graphics have been showing their age on my 2006 Challenger 180. Replacing them was going to be expensive and eventually the new graphics would get beat-up as well during docking. So I did some research and decided to paint the hull to make it look like the hulls on the newer Sea Doo and other boats.

Here's a before picture (I admit that I should have taken a better picture)
View attachment 33108

I began by pealing the decals off and sanding the Gel-coat all around the boat with 230 grit
View attachment 33109
I then masked off the entire area.
View attachment 33110
I went with Rustoleum brand Marine Fiberglass Primer and Marine Topside Paint. I tack-clothed the hull numerous times before each coat to make sure I was working with a clean surface. I applied the first coat of primer, waited a day, sanded with 230 again and gave it a second coat of primer.

I bought a $14 sprayer at Harbor Freight that had good reviews... I should add that I've never done this before, but with the help of "Youtube University", I learned a lot before I picked-up the sprayer!

Here's the primer going on....
View attachment 33111

After the 2nd coat of primer, I was pretty happy with the surface conditions so I went on to spray 3 coats of the Navy Blue, giving it a couple days to harden up between each coat. Here's the result of the 1st coat...
View attachment 33112
View attachment 33114

Then the finished product...
View attachment 33113

I figure that I can touch-up the paint a lot easier than replacing the graphics.

Paint and primer was ~$12/quart. I found the paint at Lowe's and the primer on Amazon. I was surprised to only use a quart of primer (with some left over) and a quart and a half of paint. There was minimal over spray from the sprayer. You get significantly more over spray from a spray can! Each coat took only minutes apply, but cleaning the sprayer took a good 45 minutes or so.

After three coats, I was pretty satisfied with the finish. They say to finish with polishing compound and wax, but honestly, I couldn't tell the difference where I compounded/waxed and where I didn't.

Thanks for checking this out!
That looks amazing.

as far as the paint holding up. just buff and wax the shit out of it. get a good layer of wax on there and the paint will last a long time.

Also Interlux makes a really nice roll and tip paint. I have seen some seriously good stuff turn out from their roll and tip. Check into it because it takes less than a quart to do it. There is a measurement you have to do and you must use Interlux 333 with it to make it the correct consistency.

I paint cars for a living and do a few boats every now and then. If you don't want to mess with it yourself go to a paint store that sells PPG or axalta paint and see who they know that paints on the side that can do it for you. Your big expense is the paint and materials because the good stuff is not cheap. Just make sure you get the rite stuff if you go below the water line. I repainted a 34ft carved I had in base coat clear and it held up great for the few yrs I had it. Also if you want a wrap check out your sign shops some of them can print and make what ever you want and install them if you don't want too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back