Overheating 4-Tec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimraab

I went out today on my 2005 GTX 4-Tec 155HP and it overheated. I discovered that the coolant tank must have emptied out while riding with at least some of it lying in the hull.. What should I look for in troublshootong this problem? Can I assume that it might just be a hose? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Jim, while I am no expert, there are a number of things which could have caused the large leak you have indicated. The point is...you have to find the leak. Marker dyes are the best technique I am aware of (unless it is just flat out glaringly obvious, like a popped hose, etc). As far as I understand coolant in the SeaDoo 4 tec runs from the reservoir through the engine block, oil cooler, and then accomplishes heat transfer through the ride plate, interestingly enough. So there could be large leaks anywhere in that loop (or small ones), caused by any number of reasons. Any damage to your ride plate? Other than chasing down the leak with dye, everything is just a guess.

Actually, since the fluid is in the hull, probably isn't some outer damage to the ride plate, but a leaking hose could easily be a culprit.

I found the problem. It was that the clamp rusted off the hose at the very bottom right rear side of the engine. I think it is going into the oil cooler. Thank you for your replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back