Over one quart short on oil, where did it go?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingingit

I recently bought a 2015 Sea Doo Wake Pro 215. I also have a 2012 Sea Doo GTI 130 SE. I changed the oil in both at same time. Starting with the GTI 130 SE. They were both on same trailer. Checked the oil in both before starting. The Wake Pro appeared to be a quart or so low on the dipstick. When extracting the oil, I removed approximately 3 quarts from the GTI 130 SE. I did measure it with a half gallon milk jug and a large glass measuring container. Then extracted the oil from the Wake Pro 215 and only got just short of 2 quarts of oil. I tried several times to get more oil out without luck.

First of all, if only 2 quarts of oil were added at last oil change instead of 3 quarts at 62 hours, now the Wake Pro has 82 hours on it, would any damage to engine be done? If so, what type of damage could have been done? I did a compression check before buying it and all cylinders were within 10%. I have seen on you tube that this is acceptable. I thought, I also checked the oil before putting it in the water and seemed to be ok. I bought it mid September and haven't had it in the water since. Is it likely, that no damage was done by running it with only 2 quarts of oil, instead of 3?

The other scenario is, if the oil was added correctly at 3 quarts at last oil change, what happened to the oil? There was not any water in the oil, which would suggest a head gasket leak. This suggests that it is either burning oil or the correct amount of oil was not added at last oil change.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially if you are a pwc technician.

I recently bought a 2015 Sea Doo Wake Pro 215. I also have a 2012 Sea Doo GTI 130 SE. I changed the oil in both at same time. Starting with the GTI 130 SE. They were both on same trailer. Checked the oil in both before starting. The Wake Pro appeared to be a quart or so low on the dipstick. When extracting the oil, I removed approximately 3 quarts from the GTI 130 SE. I did measure it with a half gallon milk jug and a large glass measuring container. Then extracted the oil from the Wake Pro 215 and only got just short of 2 quarts of oil. I tried several times to get more oil out without luck.

First of all, if only 2 quarts of oil were added at last oil change instead of 3 quarts at 62 hours, now the Wake Pro has 82 hours on it, would any damage to engine be done? If so, what type of damage could have been done? I did a compression check before buying it and all cylinders were within 10%. I have seen on you tube that this is acceptable. I thought, I also checked the oil before putting it in the water and seemed to be ok. I bought it mid September and haven't had it in the water since. Is it likely, that no damage was done by running it with only 2 quarts of oil, instead of 3?

The other scenario is, if the oil was added correctly at 3 quarts at last oil change, what happened to the oil? There was not any water in the oil, which would suggest a head gasket leak. This suggests that it is either burning oil or the correct amount of oil was not added at last oil change.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially if you are a pwc technician.
We are not actually changing the oil in our SeaDoos we are refurbishing what's already in there. Per your service manual the oil change quantity with filter is 3.2 quarts for both skis and the total capacity is 4.8 quarts. Roughly 30% of the old oil is left in the ski. The important quantity is total capacity and that is what your dipstick reads. Seadoo is very adamant about checking and maintaining proper oil quantity and when it is checked correctly (operators manual) it needs to read between the two marks on the dipstick. Max and min. Thats it. The quantity between the max and min marks on your dip stick is pretty close to 1 quart so if you are above the min line you have at least 3.8 quarts. Overfilling can also cause engine damage. SeaDoo per the operators manual recommends oil services being done at a Seadoo dealer so that is a very good clue to have a SeaDoo service manual on hand and following procedures precisely.

I have quite the opposite situation. I bought a gently used, well maintained 2018 GTI SE 130 this year. Yesterday I performed winterization including my first oil change. First, I took a 10 minute final lap on the local lake to warm things up. When I pumped the oil out I got 4 liters. I was worried. I haven't read anything suggesting anyone drains more than 2.5-3.0. Was it overfilled? I didn't think so, but now I wonder and I'm unsure how much to put back in. I've put about 3 liters in and I'm not sure I'm trusting what I see on the dipstick; since it is fresh oil I'm thinking it doesn't cling well to the stick. . I think the oil level is below the target range, but there is oil smeared up the stick. Would love to hear experiences of others to see if I'm way out of bounds here or if others have recovered that much oil before.

Next year I bet you might check the oil level before you start pumping out the oil and I do agree it is difficult at best to read the oil quantity on that stupid dipstick with fresh oil. That smearing on the dipstick is probably from residual oil left in the dipstick tube from when you pumped it out. Let it sit for an hour and go back and recheck. As for the 4.0 liters of oil you removed I have never been close to removing that much. I would say it was probably overfilled and hopefully your coolant level is not low. Since you do not know the oil level at the start I would not worry too much about how much oil you took out and get the oil quantity between the marks and call it good until next spring when you bring it out of hibernation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back