Oil Pump Lever Linkage Not Hooked Up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working on carb rebuilds and fuel line replacements on the new to me pair of 1998 GS Sea Doos. I noticed one of them didn't have the oil pump lever hooked up! Both of them were in running condition when I bought them. I was able to get spring tension on the lever by rotating the lever clockwise until the spring hooked up onto whatever it sits against to hold it. How was this one running like that? I need to find a couple of stainless nuts in the correct size to hook the cable adjustment back up to the carb. Reading in the service manual, it looks like there are alignment marks that need to meet up on the lever arm when the carb is in the idle position. Any tricks I need to know about here? Wouldn't there be a chance this could have caused too little or too much oil to get to the motor?

Any chance there was premix in the fuel tank?
You would have been running at the least amount the pump puts out all the time. So you would have damaged the engine running like that for any length of time. The pump does have marks on it that align when set at the idle position. It’s a little awkward to do but basically pretty easy.

No, that is not correct... If the pump cable is not connected to pump goes to full open and dumps the maximum amount of oil in so there isn't engine damage.

Just reconnect the cable and adjust it so the alignment marks are aligned at idle.

Awesome! That would make more sense for it to go to wide open in case of a cable/linkage failure. I'm able to see the alignment marks using an inspection mirror and work light. Looks like it won't be too bad to do with the carb on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back