Oil injection pump

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

matempl

Sorry this might be long. Two summers ago my 96 gti had a dying issue I thought it was electrical and chased the wrong way. Finally the pto cylinder seized. So I figured it was a lean condition. So I pulled the cylinders sent the top end to Full Bore including pistons and plugs. 10 months later after much frustration I got them back. He never gave me an opinion as to what was the cause but at that point I was just happy to have my parts. I reassembled the engine. Bottom end seemed fine. Rebuild the carbs and ski ran great. 3 hours of running time and the crank locked up. I said screw it and sent the engine to SES. I know there are mixed feelings about them here but my experience was good. I sent an engine in early august and had it back before the end of September. Considering it was still summer I thought that wasn’t bad. Tom at SES said my problem was 100% oiling problem and just one cylinder and to dump the oil pump and go premix. So I ditched the pump and went premix. Ski runs great. My issue is I put the pump on myself. Bought it from Nick at westside. Bought new banjo fittings and put on new hoses and filter. Bled out fine no air in lines. Everyone says the pumps almost never fail. I just got back from vacation and honestly having one ski I have to premix is a pain. I have to be sure I’m the only one fueling it and my wife and daughters complain about the smoking at low speeds. Should I try another pump? What would you guys do?

Mraw is right on,,,and yes the oil pumps rarely fail,,,but once in a blue moon can,,,bench test with a drill works everytime.

Also agree on bench testing before installing ( for me, it's pretty cool and somewhat exciting to see it working ).I live and die with oil injection on every 2 cycle I own !!

For piece of mind....get another pump and use the old one as a spare. Chances of two acting strange is one in a million. I have three skis from the late 90s...all use oil pumps - two Seadoos and a Yamaha. I check that they are pumping at the start of the season and that is about it. I know they are adjusted correctly. MAKE SURE you have your pumps adjusted correctly too or they may not be supplying the right amount of oil! Procedure in the manual. On my 98 XPL I need to use a mirror to accurately adjust it.

Thanks for the input guys. I was going through my parts and found I have a pump from a 657x. It looks the same as the 720 but does anyone know if it is?

Just bought two 04 GTIs that have the injector pump bypassed, will definitely be looking at making those functional again. Read in another thread about draining oil and starting fresh…great idea I was thinking about doing when I read that. Anything else in particular to look for when going back oil injection? Thanks!

Got it, I have that on the list as well as fuel lines while I’m in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back