Oil in cylinders

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

csull743

Was winterizing and found oil in 2 of the cylinders. Could this be from the o rings on the pistons, or caused by the supercharger? Supercharger has already been re-built with metal washers.

Was winterizing and found oil in 2 of the cylinders. Could this be from the o rings on the pistons, or caused by the supercharger? Supercharger has already been re-built with metal washers.

I think I winterized in October! Anyway, if the motor was just fogged, all three cylinders should be oily(the plugs electrodes should be wet with oil and the piston tops shiny with oil), the foggong oil displaces moisture and keeps corrosion to a minimum. I guess it depends on how much oil you discovered though, copious amounts that might be enough to make old Jed a millionaire might raise an eyebrow.

I think if your four-stroke ski emits blue smoke as you ride it around, there might be an oil control issue.

What exactly do you mean by "found oil in 2 of the cylinders"?. How did you find this oil?

I took the spark plugs out for winterization and found oil below where the spark plugs are. The oil covered the tip of my finger but it wasn't a lot. The spark plugs center was white when they came out.

I took the spark plugs out for winterization and found oil below where the spark plugs are. The oil covered the tip of my finger but it wasn't a lot. The spark plugs center was white when they came out.

It's not unusual to find slight traces of oil around the vicinity of the spark plug threads, maybe just enough to wet the end of your fingertip. If the plug center electrode insulators are a snow white, or maybe light eggshell color, it doesn't sound like you have a problem with oil control in the cylinders, the plug insulator color would become dark brown to sooty black if there was an oil control problem, and you would likely notice a blue cloud of oil coming from the exhaust while the engine was running in addition to loss of crankcase oil over a period of time riding around, making it necessary to add oil in between oil changes.

Sounds to me like normal conditions in your case, you could run a compression check to confirm cylinder compression pressure is normal but I think you'll find the engine is fine. Always run a compression check for a ski that you might buy from someone.

Thank you for the info sportster. To run a compression check do I need a special compression checker and is there a way I can manually crank the motor? Also would you happen to know the specs for the amount of psi they need to have ? Thank you for your help.

Thank you for the info sportster. To run a compression check do I need a special compression checker and is there a way I can manually crank the motor? Also would you happen to know the specs for the amount of psi they need to have ? Thank you for your help.

I believe that motor typically blows north of 150psi (150~155psi?), maybe someone who has one can verify that detail. You can get a good quality compression gauge in many autoparts stores, look for one with a gauge head that comes with a hose to attach(screw) into the spark plug threaded hole during the test. These gauges typically can measure over 300psi, so the needle should read about half scale (~150psi). Also important is cylinder balance, I like to see a reading within 5psi of each other would be ideal, greater than a 10% variation between cylinders is outside of reasonable and indicative of a problem. I like to do the compression test at least once per year, normally at the end of the riding season.

Some important notes on preparing for the test:

Shut off the fuel supply valve, you don't need fuel during the test as the engine will not be running and fuel presents a fire hazard.

Make sure to locate the three sparkplug wire grounding posts and always place the plug wire ends on them while cranking the engine using the electric starter, or else damage to the ignition coils may occur. This also reduces the risk of fire and ignition of fuel vapors that may be trapped in the ski's hull.

Hold the throttle lever wide open while cranking the engine to build cylinder pressure, holding the throttle lever fully open shuts off the fuel injectors by safety interlock, this feature is otherwise known as fuel-flooded clearing mode. Remove all three spark plugs before beginning the cranking test.

Record your readings, I often write them directly on the cylinder head using a permanent marker.

Also, here's an generic article describing the process:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/car...ars-101-how-to-do-a-compression-test-14912158

Oil on the OUTSIDE of a 4TEC spark plug is a good indication of a valve cover leak. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back