Oil In Bilge 1998 SeaDoo Sporster 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjkehres

Greetings! I am a first time uses. Last summer I began to get some oil in the bilge. The amount in the bilge may have increased a bit with future uses. It was mixed with some water and did not look like clean oil but more like used oil. 2 cycle oil use did not see to be excessive. The engine did start hard and run a bit rough at times. I would greatly appreciate so help in locating the source of this problem.

i'd probaby start with two things.

i'd start by climbing down there or do the flashlight in teeth hang upside down over the hard fiberglass hull while cracking your ribs slowly routine, and inspect carefully where the oil might be coming out... see below.... also clean it up with some purple power/superclean and a hose or pressure washer, pull the drain plugs, tip it down and clean it up, with exception to pump oil, nothing smells more like azz than a crusty nasty hull with a bunch of oil in the bottom.

then inspect the oil tank, the grommet where the hose runs out of it, the oil hoses and filters too, etc and look for the source of the leak, and grease the PTO's as well while your down there. the items bolded are your most likely source of a legitimate leak, but if you eliminate them and the lines as the source, a good solid cleaning, then close inspection after a short test ride will probably help you find the source.

is this a single engine 787 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also check around the seam of the oil tank. Mine developed hair line cracks and would leak if past that point.

there are 2 tanks....1 that looks like a 2 piece that's glued together with the top, over lapping the bottom part...that's what leaked on me on the 99 GSXL.
Then according to Nick (Minnetonka4me) my 96 GTX had a tank that's "Welded/melted" together that seems to hold up better....I replaced my leaking one with that style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back