RESTO Oil for a 97 challenger 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlcrew94

The nearest Sea Doo dealer is about 40 miles away from me so I can either make the 80 mile drive round trip to buy the xps oil or I can buy it online but what I want to know is there an oil I can buy from my local auto parts store or Walmart that will work just as good. I of course would like a no/low smoke one.

Auto parts store... probably not. Walmart... Possibly.

You need an API-tc or JASO-F oil. DO NOT USE A TC-w3 oil !!!!!!!!!!! Since you have a couple 800 engines in that... you need to use synthetic oil. Oh... and if you see one that says it's TC-w3 and API-tc compatible... DO NOT USE IT!

At SOME walmart's... they have Quicksilver PWC synthetic. If yours has it... then you can use it. But with that said... and since your dealer is far away... I would just order a case. You can generally get it shipped for less than the local dealers sell it for.

Last edited:
I order 3 gallons at a time from Pro Caliber of the XPS full synthetic for $36 each and free shipping.

Thanks mikidymac I will check that out!

Dr Honda my bro in law used the Lucas oil that is TC-w3 but API-tc compatible. They had the ski out the other day and had to tow it back in because it quit on them. When he tried firing it back up it clicked kinda like the starter wasn’t getting enough juice but when he put another battery in it he got the same thing. Could that oil have fried his engine? I believe it may be a 678 or 687 in his ski.

Yep. It could have. There's a couple reasons for it.....

1) TC-w3 oils CAN NOT support the power that these Rotax engines make. 800cc's and 110 HP. That's better power density than most supercars.

2) This one is the most important thing.... 2-Stroke oils do not always mix. This is something people just don't want to believe anymore. We have become a society of people who think everything will work with everything. The chemical additives that are in a TC-w3 oil are meant for the safety of the fish. Those additives are chmically not compatible with what may be in a JASO-F oil. (API-tc) When different 2-stroke oils are put together... bad things happen. I've seen stuff fall out of suspension, and I've seen the entire batch turn to pudding.

Regardless... sounds like the engine is locked up. Pull the plugs and post a pic.

Oh... and when you read on a label.... "Compatible".. that just means some one THINKS it should work but it was never tested.

Lucas semi-synthetic 2 stroke oil is the correct Lucas to use. Not the Lucas outboard oil. I buy the 4 gallon pack and it lasts me 2 years. Very reasonably priced.

61plEXAu%2BHL._SL1000_.jpg

The Lucas Semi_Synthetic is only approved for the 780 and smaller engines, NOT the 787 and 951.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back