Oil consumption in one rotax engine - Challenger 230

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLG

Hi, one of my 2 engine in my 2008 Challenger 230 is consuming way more oil than the other... per example, after roughly 10-15 hours this year, I had to put a pt of oil in one of the engine and absolutely nothing on the other one.... what could it be? I’m not very knowledgeable of engine etc... but it doesn’t seem to have any other apparent issue... thx for your help!

Check your plugs on the oil burning motor. You should also check engine compression as well. Gauges are cheap. Have you noticed any blue smoke coming from the exhaust?

I'm assuming you mean steam coming from the exhaust, which would be normal. Any oil down in the bilge? If you're not leaking it, you must be burning it. If you're burning it, then you should see it on your plugs.

Pull them and post some pics. Also do the compression check. You could have a bad or broken ring allowing oil to enter the combustion chamber.

How is your coolant level?

could also be you superchargers leaking oil into the intake, either way you would see evidence on your plugs

I'm assuming you mean steam coming from the exhaust, which would be normal. Any oil down in the bilge? If you're not leaking it, you must be burning it. If you're burning it, then you should see it on your plugs.

Pull them and post some pics. Also do the compression check. You could have a bad or broken ring allowing oil to enter the combustion chamber.

How is your coolant level?

Sorry for late response, don’t have any cell signal where my boat is... What do you mean by plugs... Spark plugs? Last time my bilge pump ran, there was a lot of hydrocarbures in the sewer water... I think it is more leaking than burning. I saw today a very small black hose 1/4 in with a yellow cap that looks like dropping oil. It was head down to the bottom of the engine when I pulled it but the other engine (good one) has it ty-wrapped head up... see picture

IMG_1999.JPG

How do we perform a compression check?

I'd run the boat and see how much oil is actually leaking from that 1/4" line. It may be quite a bit when the RPMS are higher. Regardless of the amount of oil coming out, I'd stop that leak. Not sure where that line goes. Maybe a better pic so I can check it against our motors.

Yes, I did mean spark plugs. If you're burning the oil, you should see signs on your plugs.

As for a compression check, check out this video. While it's not on a boat, it is on the same motor.

Let us know what you find.

Hmm. Not sure what that line is even for as we don't have that on our motors. That line is going into the throttle body from what I can see. Ours are fly by wire, so no cables or anything. Is the line leaking where it meets the throttle body? Have you confirmed there are no leaks from the oil filter cap?

Maybe someone with this motor can chime in as to what that line actually does.

That hose if for fogging your motor during winterizing. You are missing the top plastic part that the yellow part clips into. If you are getting oil out of that line it means that your supercharger is leaking oil into your throttle body. Take off that hose and see if it has oil in it. If so, rebuild your sc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back