Note to self-Don't capsize!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

crob1

I had a kind of funny thing happen yesterday on the lake. I found a floating tennis ball, so I got it and started sort of a game of catch / dodge ball with my sons on their jet skis. I went to grab it from the water after I got nailed, and in my haste to retrieve it from the water, while moving a bit too fast, I found my self in the water and my GSX upside down! So, I went to the back to see the sticker on which way to roll it back over, and rolled it back over. I could immediately tell it was VERY unstable which indicated it was full of water. I finally got back on it and got it started and went back to the beach and anchored it in about 3' of water. I took the seat off and saw it had a ton of water in it! It was almost to the top of the battery! I can't believe it took on that much water that fast. We got a Gatorade bottle and bailed out most of it , then went on some high speed runs and that got the rest out. It ran fine the rest of the day. When I got home, I took the seat off and opened the front cover and took out the storage bin. Then I stuck a fan on the seat opening and let it run all night to dry it out. Today, it's all opened up and sitting in the sun. Do you guys think that's enough to dry it out completely? Is there any thing else I should do?

Also, the VTS cover came off (I don't think it was put back on securely when the shop that replaced my starter did their inspection). The VTS works, but this is what it looks like. I have it set where I want it and I don't mess with it, so I'm not overly concerned about it. Obviously it wasn't sealed for a while. I've only had the thing for just over a month now.

Attachments

• 20180810_222720.jpg
    20180810_222720.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Your rear ebox is also probably full of water. Just let go when u start to fall off. The ski will pop back up. They capsize because people pull them over with them when they fall off.

Is the ebox the box above the VTS, that the battery cable goes into? If so, I checked and it is dry because it was actually sealed properly.

As far as your vts goes check your vts boot on top of the jet pump periodically for wear.

Are you gonna pull that thing outta there and clean it up ?? Lube it up and give it some love??

Should you not find out why it filled up so fast? We have rolled our skis (XP97s and XP 951) a few times (teenagers, new folk, wave jumping etc) and they have not filled up much with water. This is fortunate as we are often in salt water.

I would also recommend checking the venturi is working well, as this can keep them nice and dry, and can empty them if necessary.

Are you gonna pull that thing outta there and clean it up ?? Lube it up and give it some love??

I'm not sure. Is that difficult? With my luck and lack of expertise, I'd end up with a blown MPEM, a hole in the hull and two flat tires on the trailer if I tried it. It sure looks like it could stand some TLC though!

Should you not find out why it filled up so fast? We have rolled our skis (XP97s and XP 951) a few times (teenagers, new folk, wave jumping etc) and they have not filled up much with water. This is fortunate as we are often in salt water.

I would also recommend checking the venturi is working well, as this can keep them nice and dry, and can empty them if necessary.

Yes, I was wondering why it took on so much water in the relatively brief amount of time that it was upside down. The underside of the seat is so open for air intake, that I assume that's where the water entered. The bilge emptied out pretty quick once I started to ride it. I just bailed out as much as I could, because I didn't think I should ride it with that much water in it. There was still 3-4" of water when I stopped bailing and started riding, so I know the bilge venturi is working well.

Cool that the bilge venturi is working well. Ours have lots of big long tubes on the internal vents, which are no doubt designed to hydrolock lock out the water/air as they roll. Maybe one or more of your tubes are missing? Post a few pictures, I am sure folk on here will assist if it is obvious.

Another hint may be a missing storage box. Our GTX was missing one that I didn't know it had at first. Much better sealed up with the storage boxes in place.

The water was about to the level where the bottom of the air baffle would be when installed. I'm hoping that it's designed to stop water once it get's to the bottom end of the baffle (top when inverted). Everything seems to be in place, including the front storage bin. The air openings in the seat funnel air and water into the baffle, then into the hull.20180812_135110.jpg20180812_133856.jpg

Our GTX has two long tubes that finish close to the bilge (when upright), (see 2002 SEA DOO SEADOO GTX RFI SEAT SUPPORT BASE BRIDGE BIN 02-1 for a photograph. The hole mount under the seat (on the ski) appears to have a similar retaining clip, perhaps this should also have a substantial tube on it. The clip retains the tube, normally.

But again, I don't know the GSX model well.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I couldn't view your picture link on my phone and had to wait to see it on my desktop. I don't think mine is missing anything. I was hoping someone would chime in, and say it's normal to take on a ton of water when you flip a 99 GSX over. That would make me feel better anyway. :)

Every flipped ski I’ve ever seen had a lot of water in them. Nothing will keep it out if it’s upside down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back