Normal wear near intake?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdunks

I have a brand new Wake Pro 230 which I took out for the first time today. I was following a buddy in some shallower areas and ended up too close to a sand bar and touched bottom/hears sand go into the intake. I immediately shut down, pushed into 4-5 feet of water and started back up. No issued for rest of ride (about 2 hours today). When i got home, I checked the area and notices a ton of scratching along intake and I am not sure if impeller is knicked.

I have attached pictures so you guys can help me out. Normal wear or damage? most of the grey seems to be able to rub off but there are a ton of fine scratches.

2017-08-20 22.26.00.jpg2017-08-20 22.25.54.jpg2017-08-20 22.25.30.jpg2017-08-20 22.25.23.jpg

Those scratches look like someone was already in there with sandpaper maybe filling up cracks or chips.

something doesn't look right . It does look like someone had done a repair or you were running shallow for a while. Impeller looks pretty chewed up and that might cause the wear ring to fail sooner

Your impeller is definitely marred. If this thing is brand new and you were only in shallow water for a moment, you need to be having a serious talk with the dealer. Those scratches look like what others have said, previous repair work.

I've seen similar damage when people have run into sand bars heavy with shells. Especially oyster shells. One of the guys I was riding with once hit a sandbar and then, tried to reverse his way out of it, that's what would seem to be indicated by the scratching patterns I see. If you didn't try to reverse out, just shut it down and pushed it out, I'd say the dealer has some explaining to do. There is one indicator that leads me to think this was done prior to your owning it. The part number sticker on the impeller isn't sandblasted looking.

Too late for you, however, maybe not for someone else. When you go to buy any type of water craft, get under the thing and inspect the hell out of it. Some dealers allow customers to try out a ski before they buy it although typically, they use one that's past the break-in period hours so the full throttle response and RPM's are available.

How many hours were on your ski when you bought it? How many are on it now?

Hey guys FYI on some of the other forums there have been pics and talk about new seadoo skis that the area around the intake grate looked like it had been repaired or was sanded on and not finished. This was on new skis that had not even been in the water yet, which is how they were being shipped from the factory just so you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back