No spark and shop is charging $$$ is this price correct Mercury M2 Carb 210 Utopia 185 need help!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Utopia1330

No spark on the engine after running fine, they will replace the stator, trigger, and voltage regulator for $640 with Mercury parts except the stator (CDI ELECTRIC PART) is this correct??? Should I do this myself or have them replace it and possibly get stranded once again for them to tell me its the expensive switch boxes? Need someone’s help and opinion.

FYI stator was replaced by them before and the new one burnt out only took it out twice, what would burn the stator so quickly???

The price actually isn't that bad if the parts are genuine OEM. it could have been the regulators frying the stator. Seem like that shop, like most, just throws parts at it hoping for a fix rather than trying to diagnose the root cause.

That’s what I was thinking, I have amps and 6 speakers running would an overload due to the sound system effect the regulator? Only off brand part is the stator but the regulator and trigger will be Mercury parts.

What about the switch boxes, would that burn the stator, by the way it was a brand new stator from cdi electronics

That does sound like a lot of draw for the stock charging system. This engine is just an outboard powerhead stuck on to a jet pump so it's really not designed to power a lot of accessories. You should be running deep cycle batteries with a dual battery setup. I think the stator is only rated for 25 amps output.

A quick check and the stator may only be rated for 16 amps!
A quick check and the stator may only be rated for 16 amps!

I think the stator is rated 16A x2. That is, 2 16A systems that can be combined to 32A. Stator is $322. One thing that kills stators is bad regulators. One thing that kills regulators is a bad battery. One that has an internal short. Is your battery hard to charge?

Regarding spark-- has the kill switch been checked for function? Its purpose is simply to kill spark. Has the black/yellow stripe wire been traced for continuity? That is the wire that kills spark.

Tim,
Kill switch is good, black and yellow has been traced and no issues. The battery is new and I have additional battery swapped. Shop says new stator was roasted, so it was warranted by cdi electronics and they ordered the regulator and trigger from Mercury.

Off subject, my audio amp has a 30amp fuse looking into adding additional battery for house.

I think the stator is rated 16A x2. That is, 2 16A systems that can be combined to 32A. Stator is $322. One thing that kills stators is bad regulators. One thing that kills regulators is a bad battery. One that has an internal short. Is your battery hard to charge?

Regarding spark-- has the kill switch been checked for function? Its purpose is simply to kill spark. Has the black/yellow stripe wire been traced for continuity? That is the wire that kills spark.

Kill switch is good, black and yellow has been traced and no issues. The battery is new and I have additional battery swapped. Shop says new stator was roasted, so it was warranted by cdi electronics and they ordered the regulator and trigger from Mercury.

Off subject, my audio amp has a 30amp fuse looking into adding additional battery for house

Update: changed stator, trigger, and regulator… the boat runs but still getting drag after it’s warmed up forces me to shut it off and restart then no issues. Don’t know why it feels sluggish after awhile, turn off and on then get WOT speed, Any feedback on this guys? There are times it doesn’t even get on plane until I restart the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back