No power wont run over 20 mph

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy780

I just bought a 97 seadoo without taking it out on the water. It has no power. I tried taking it out it would not go over 20 mph at high rpms . then bringing it back in it would not reach 10 mph.on way back to shore. I checked nothing was in the intake by the impeller? Any thoughts????

If it is only going 10-20mph at high RPMs that sounds like cavitation. First suspect would be the wear ring. Check it and the impellor for damage and make sure the clearance is within specifications.

If it is only going 10-20mph at high RPMs that sounds like cavitation. First suspect would be the wear ring. Check it and the impellor for damage and make sure the clearance is within specifications.
I ordered a wear ring this morning. . but it would run up to 7000 rpm but after couple minutes it would not. Like baugh down from like 7000 to 4000 rpms???

I just pulled the pump out of my 97 GSX. The wear ring was in pieces, completely shattered! However the impeller looks good so I just ordered a new wear ring and also a pump oil change kit. Hopefully, I should be back in the water by next weekend. Weather is nasty today anyway!

I just pulled the pump out of my 97 GSX. The wear ring was in pieces, completely shattered! However the impeller looks good so I just ordered a new wear ring and also a pump oil change kit. Hopefully, I should be back in the water by next weekend. Weather is nasty today anyway!
??

From your original post, it sounds like you just bought this ski. Was a compression test done? Did you receive any transfer of knowledge. Especially, in regards to the service history? If not, there are plenty of threads here advising what should be done on these old skis. Before doing anything, do a compression test to confirm what shape the motor may be in and what you have to work with. If that tests ok, Primary area of concern if you do not want to toast the engine, is the fuel delivery system and using the right oil. Before running it anymore, replace any old gray tempo fuel lines and rebuild the carbs ( sticky how-to is on this forum) . Replace fuel selector valve and water separator filter. Clean and inspect fuel vents. Do not mix oil brands. Find out what kind the PO was using and either keep using (if it is the right kind) or drain the system and replace with correct kind. Also, replace inline oil filter. Bleed the system.

That should get you started on preparing an older model ski for a lot more fun.

Will flushing the system with the water hose and forgot to turn watetroff first cylinders had water in them i got it to run . but would that have any negative effect ??? Do u have a fb i could swnd u a video and pictures?

they gray hoses correct?

Attachments

• 20200525_104206.jpg
    20200525_104206.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
It could, water cannot compress so the first thing should always be to pull the plugs and crank with them out to clear the water. Then crank as soon as possible. Take out on water and run for a while. Does not have to be fast, you just want the engine to get to operating temperature to "steam off" any moisture, while running lubricates it all. Do not let it sit untill that is done.

It could, water cannot compress so the first thing should always be to pull the plugs and crank with them out to clear the water. Then crank as soon as possible. Take out on water and run for a while. Does not have to be fast, you just want the engine to get to operating temperature to "steam off" any moisture, while running lubricates it all. Do not let it sit untill that is done.
I did run it right after i got cylinders cranked free of water. Thats the only.time i have had it out

Now that you have flooded the cylinders I would do a Compression check. Should be 150psi. Anything below 120psi and it is rebuild time.
Carbon ring ring could be going bad.
wear ring could be worn out.
Drive shaft splines could be bad.
Pump seals bad. Etc...
Basically compression check first because if it is bad then nothing else matters.
Next is go completely through the drive train.
I would go completely through the fuel system and electrical as well.
When I buy old skis the only thing I am looking for is compression. I go through everything else myself.

Now that you have flooded the cylinders I would do a Compression check. Should be 150psi. Anything below 120psi and it is rebuild time.
Carbon ring ring could be going bad.
wear ring could be worn out.
Drive shaft splines could be bad.
Pump seals bad. Etc...
Basically compression check first because if it is bad then nothing else matters.
Next is go completely through the drive train.
I would go completely through the fuel system and electrical as well.
When I buy old skis the only thing I am looking for is compression. I go through everything else myself.
Bought a compession tester and it didnt work? I installed. Wear ring and took it out ski goes about 35 mph. When i hit wot it still boggs down ? Is my next step the rebuilding the carbs?

If the engine is bogging then go through the fuel system making sure you replace the fuel selector valve with new OEM.
Read Mikidymac’s thread on carb rebuilding.
clean the rave valves while you are at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back