No Pee stream on the hose? Also cutting off while running like the key was pulled

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.....

Point #1 if the fuel washes off the oil then you instantly have metal to metal contact and the damage is done, this is a fast process and in a few engine revolutions, not minutes. And doesn't go away.

2. 951's have never been known to have an old bottom end survive a new top end. Could it? Sure but more times than not, No.

3. A clean ski like that with a bad engine shouldn't sell for more than $500 but as they say a sucker is born every minute.

Thanks for that info. He said rebuilding the top end on a 100 hour ski is a waste of money, and your comments confirm it. It seems that I should either get the engine rebuilt or sell it as-is.

You guys on this forum are great. I really appreciate it. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

Now I just have to make the decision.

Well here is a fast update...
Posted it on FB, along with the link to SES for the engine rebuild, and two people want to come see it almost instantly. Wow, that was fast. One says he is on his way right now.

Part of me wonders if I didn't price it too low, but as long as I get my money back, I'll be happy. What a good learning experience. I guess we will see what happens. If they start trying to chew me down too much, I might go ahead and keep it, and get the engine done. I'll post the results.

What's funny, is I just noticed that a neighbor who is moving has a SeaDoo just like this one. Pretty sure they are selling everything. I might pop over and ask what he wants for it. It's not as clean as this one, but maybe it will be worth looking into, especially if it runs. I might be tearing across the lake sooner than later!

Last edited:
Well the guy looked it over briefly, handed me the money, thanked me and drove off.

It happened so fast it was almost shocking. I got my money back, and sold a trailer that's been sitting around for a few years, so I have no complaints. OF course, now I'm wondering if I will be able to find another machine as nice for what I would have had in this one, had I rebuilt the motor.

Probably not, but it's time to start searching. Will hit my neighbor up tomorrow, if he is home.

Thanks again, everyone. Great forum and great people here.

I think you did the correct thing. I personally think you avoided a lot of headaches.
Find one that runs but needs a little elbow grease and enjoy.

That's encouraging.
I've been scanning CL and FB this evening, but everything either has 200 hours, or is priced sky-high.
I'm not in a hurry. The right one will come along, if I do a search every day. I'll post it when I find a good one. Thanks.

Congrats on offloading the DI. It is very possible that the buyer does not know what he just bought and thinks it is a "simple" 2 stroke. He will find out soon!

I gave him a pretty good run-down about the engine. Didn't want him getting blind-sided. He had a super-nice, fully tricked-out jeep. He said it would be a new toy to play around with, and he had been looking for a clean 3 seater for awhile. When he saw this one, he jumped right on it. Pretty sure he's going to replace the engine to have it ready for spring.

Looking around locally, there aren't many like this one for any kind of reasonable price. Saw the same one with 166 hours for $4200. Yikes! No wonder he ran to get mine.

Strong words of warning. But it might not matter. A fellow boat mechanic just hooked me up with "Alan", a SeaDoo-only mechanic in Southern Maryland, a couple of hours away. Spoke with him on the phone, and he seems competent. He wouldn't tell me is how much the total bill will be to rebuild, until he takes a look at it, but that actually increases my confidence in him.

Decisions, decisions... I might just list the machine on Craigslist, and see what kind of bites I get, and see what I can buy another one for.

Thanks for the words of warning. I appreciate it.
Who is mechanic in southern maryland? I have issues with mine and don't have time to diagnose. Dm info? I heard there is guy down between Charles n st. Mary's that everyone seems to go. Don't have info anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back