No crank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP JIM

Ok now I’m really frustrated with the 96 XP. I turned up the idle, was going to check compression and install the pigtail for a battery tender. Turned up idle and while installing the pig tail accidentally touched the battery terminals together with the wrench. Now won’t crank, so I couldn’t do the compression test. Checked all the fuses in the front box, and checked the rear box (didn’t see any fuses). Had the starter solenoid checked and was told it was ok. I’m hoping I didn’t fry the MPEM, but I probably did? What now? Does anyone know of a really good XP repair person in the southeast? I’m to the point of just taking it somewhere and getting all the bugs fixed?

There's 2 fuses off the solenoid. One for main power to the front box, the other is for the vts (7.5 amp). You can see them in the holders on the left. They have to be on the side of the solenoid that connects to the BATTERY not the starter.

DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT SIDE THEY ARE ON MY SOLENOID. Typically Seadoo crossed them over inside the boxes. That drive be batshit crazy with my ocd, so I swap them to best fit my skis. So, the fuses go to the battery side of the solenoid.
303f325b5722ab09969646ffb1a06f1c.jpg

Mine only has one fuse holder, it was a 15A and it was ok. So I have no clue why it won’t crank

Do you have power on both sides of the fuse? Do you have power in the front box? Did you pull the little plug off the solenoid and check to make sure it's not crusty? Does the start/stop button wake the ski up without the lanyard on?

Like I said, I’m too frustrated at this point. I really need a recommendation from a member as to an expert repair facility. Or if any members fix these? Help!

Well today was a new day and I've calmed down a little. Tested the solenoid (ok), tested the DSS (was a little funky not making really good contact, so I cleaned it off with brake clean, tested the starter (ok) tested the start stop switch (ok) took apart all the connections in the front box and back box and cleaned them all and added dielectric grease. Hooked the battery back up and now it cranks! Woo Hoo! I did a compression test (with carbs off) since that is how it is right now and it read 155# on both cylinders. I don't know if that artificially high because the carbs are off or not? I plan to go through the carbs again, checking to see if they have the correct main and pilot jets in them. I didn't check them when I rebuilt the carbs and I also didn't realize that the pto carb has a different jet than the mag carb. The guy who worked on this insisted that the black spring was incorrect and put silver springs in them. The only thing that I tested so far that is bad is the beeper. I understand you can get these from radio shack (thought they went out of business)? Thanks for all the replys, Ill keep everyone posted.

And your problem is the springs. The ones on the kit are incorrect. You always use the original black spring.

The jetting should be the same on both carbs, 142.5 mains and 70 pilots. And yes, you have to have the black 80 gram springs.

Yes, the 96 has the same size jets on both carbs. If you saw the other thread where we were talking about offset jetting, that was a 97, and has a different setup on the carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back